Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2005, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Something else I forgot and had over looked till this week. I have a craftsman wheeled edger and it has an adjustable cutting head. This week I wasnt pleased with the edge and I put the head in the 15 degree angle and it put a nice gentle slope on my edges.Im not gonna say that you cant do that with a stick edger, but this way its uniform and with a stick it wouldnt be. BUT I still say both edgers have there place on the trailer and I carry both all the time

Old 05-07-2005, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Craig - answer your question on Stihl 4mix vs conventional 2 cycle

Craig

The reason I would pick the 4mix sthil over the conventional 2 cycle sthil is the fuel economy gain (engine output the same) over the standard 2 cycle. The problem with the standard 2 cycle is that it uses about 25 to 30 percent of its air/fuel mixture to push the spent exhaust out. The 4 mix saves this wasted fuel through added piston cycles. The Redmax with the Z engines, letter at the end (_ _ Z) use a stratified charge mix. The carb has two ports, one with air only and one with air and fuel/oil mix. The air only is used to start the push of spent exhaust out of the cylinder chamber. Both of these solutions, 4 mix and stratified charge, are used to meet emmissions but as a side benefit should yield a 20 to 30 percent fuel savings for similar engine output. This saves fuel, reduces our expenses, and requires less fuel in the tank to meet similar run times. This means less weight to lift. Thats why I am looking at the 4 mix Sthil or Redmax with Stratified Charge engine. My choice is narrowing down on which will be easier to use and produce the best results.

Wayne
Old 05-08-2005, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stick Edgers...

ITL,

Thanks for the reply...
I will do a search on the Redmax edgers.

Craig
Old 05-08-2005, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Also, if you have any props that have any plentiful amount of edging, a wheeled is better, too. Anything over 5 minutes worth, break out the wheeled edger. There is just SO much less fatigue with it compared to a stick edger. Don't get me wrong, a stick isn't that bad, but you do have to keep down pressure applied. After 5 minutes, the feasibility of the "quick off the trailer" is outweighed. With a wheeled edger, it's like all you have to do is hold on loosely, and don't even have to carry it.
then you are not using it right.....

it has a wheel to roll on and is no more work than weed eating......
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 05-08-2005, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro

My stihl fs85 with the edger attacment tends to rise and I have to keep down pressure on it

Old 05-08-2005, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro

Agreed! You would not believe how easy a stick edger is to use. I can use mine faster than I can trim. When I trim I am worried about keeping it perfect....when edging, the edger make it perfect. I run along with a slight angle away from the concrete, and have no problem.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-09-2005, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its a tough call really. I got both but don't carry the 4 wheel on my trailer unless I'm going to do a new property or one I haven't seen. You just can't beat 5hp for breaking a new edge with the 4 blade cross type blade. To maintain its just so much faster to grab the stick edger. I got the echo. Seems bit underpowered sometimes compared to my friends redmax if there is overgrowth but mines considerably easier too start and lighter.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My Nickel..

My fellow Houstonian summed it up, But I'll add my nickel.. The extra weight/inertia and extra cutting edges od the "star" type blades make them invaluable on a stick edger.. Plus they last longer and make the machine easier to control, at least in my experience..