Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2005, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Verticut input

Im thinking of re-seeding a customers lawn which has been overtaken by weeds and neglect. To help cut costs and labor, I was going to cut everything short , to about 1/2",. Kill everything off, then use a verticutter. Ive never used one before so Im not familiar with its actual effect, only what ive read about. If Im corrected it will basicaly chop up the top inch or so of ground. If so then I would do raking or remow with attached bagger, to get up as much of the weed clumps as possible.

Once complete, then aeration and seed application, at about 5#/sq ft (bluegrass), apply starter fert. and let nature take over.

This is planned to take place in early fall.

I guess my question is, will the verticutter be effective for this? Ive read before that people who use them have had exceelent results, however, I assume their using on an already established lawn, not a lawn renovation. Oh yea, we're looking at about 32-35 thousand sq ft total lawn area.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a dethatcher not a verticutter. Verticutters are used on golf greens,fairways, and southern grasses.

You are going about it corrrectly. Cut short, kill, dethatch and then seed. We generally hydroseed at instead of dry seeding but your method will work. I could even suggest aeration prior to the seeding and your results will improve slightly.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks sodking. And yes, aeration was part of the process as well, I forgot to mention it is all.

Now once the seed is laid should it be covered with something? Ive always used a light layer of straw but others say that introduces weed seed.

Last edited by 1BadHawk; 05-03-2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadHawk
thanks sodking. And yes, aeration was part of the process as well, I forgot to mention it is all.

Now once the seed is laid should it be covered with something? Ive always used a light layer of straw but others say that introduces weed seed.

Use Penn Mulch or Lesco's seed starter mulch. It is compressed hydromulch that can be put on dry. It then absorbes water and acts like a hydro mulch would.