Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2005, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Changing old oil...

I have heard that once you let oil go so long without changing it, that it perhaps does more harm than good to change it. Example, a Kohler 22.5hp engine with 510 hours on it has never had to oil or filter changed, just oil added as needed. Should I change this oil? What type/weight should be used? Should I just change the filter? Note: I am not the one who didn't change the oil to begin with.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a non-detergent oil such as a SAE-30 ND. What happens as your engine gets older with the same oil in it, or sits for a long time, the debris in the oil will sludge up on the inside of the engine. If you change it again and put detergent oil in it, the sludge will break up and particles will go through the oil pump, bearings, and every essential part inside that engine. The non-detergent oil will allow the deposits to stay where they are, which allows you to keep running without fear of wiping out your bearings in the engine.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 05-02-2005, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

There's always the old timers way of cleaning it out. Take out half of your old oil and replace it with Kerosene. Run the engine for a couple minutes at idle, then drain it all out. If you were to buy any of the engine sludge remover/ cleaner its basically doing the same thing. I know someone going to post a response to this and tell me Im insane but it works for me. Just don't rev the engine, idle only.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalltimer1
Use a non-detergent oil such as a SAE-30 ND. What happens as your engine gets older with the same oil in it, or sits for a long time, the debris in the oil will sludge up on the inside of the engine. If you change it again and put detergent oil in it, the sludge will break up and particles will go through the oil pump, bearings, and every essential part inside that engine. The non-detergent oil will allow the deposits to stay where they are, which allows you to keep running without fear of wiping out your bearings in the engine.
So you recommend changing the oil and filter, just using a non-detergent oil if I understand you correctly. At any point should I switch to an oil containing detergent? Do you recommend a series of oil changes? Or just switching to the ND and changing it at the recommended intervals?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

since you have a filter on it, why dont you run a detergent oil and new filter for short intervals, multiple times. oil goes from sump to pump to filter to engine parts. unless the filter doesnt filter good you dont have to worry about ruining bearing and other engine parts.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

makes sense to me. run a clean filter for a short time, change the filter, top off oil level.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks alot fellas. Any truth that it may affect the seals?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalltimer1

If this is a Command Series Engine you are talking about NEVER put a stright weight oil in it,You WILL have valve train problems,Drop the kerosene deal also.
Kohler Recommends HD 10/30 in ALL Command Series Engines !!!
JUST change the oil two or three times at 10hr. increments,That should do the trick. (and filter)

14yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumseh
Honda
Kawasaki
Honda
Onan
Robin
Factory Trained Polaris ATV & Watercraft

Last edited by Restrorob; 05-02-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksnow
There's always the old timers way of cleaning it out. Take out half of your old oil and replace it with Kerosene. Run the engine for a couple minutes at idle, then drain it all out. If you were to buy any of the engine sludge remover/ cleaner its basically doing the same thing. I know someone going to post a response to this and tell me Im insane but it works for me. Just don't rev the engine, idle only.
I have done the kerosene deal with old Briggs "L" head engines but would be afraid to try it in a Kohler with hydro lifters. There is no telling what it would do to hydro lifters.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Kerosene to clean sludge

I have never seen kerosene remove cooked-on sludge without taking the motor apart and properly cleaning everything. You're just kidding yourself if you think it will work without some mechanical effort to scrape it off.

I, too, would not use any detergent based oil in the motor until it is torn down and properly cleaned. Those detergents will make quite a slurry inside the motor.