Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hope you can get back out there soon.

Couple of years ago I was thinking about joining a flag football league...until a buddy of mine broke his femur playing. Just a freak accident, he owns a paving business, his wife had to chauffer him around for a few months until he was able to drive himself. Now if that had been me, I'd have been up a creek without a paddle. As long as you rely on yourself for labor, gotta play it safe.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Grassbandit, good luck in getting well. The few times Ive been hurt or sick I just had to bust my butt to catch up. I have no backup person. If I were close would help you out.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnranger44
For the future, I would find someone who would be able to fill in for you. Maybe a friend who would like to make a little extra cash. Have them work with you for a few hours here and there to get him familiar with your equipment, etc. Then if something unexpected comes up, you'll just be able to let him handle it for a few days.
This exactly what I did. I got besides my one current part time guy 5 friends that know how to run (between the 5 of them) all of my equipment. All know how to run the mowers. If I get hurt, I can just show them the route and they can do it.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 05-03-2005, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp
Sell the 4 wheeler, get another lawnmower and take up golfing. That should cure you for awhile.
I take it you never been hit with a gold ball then
I do not agree with sitting on your A** just because you run a company you can do just as much on a mower maybe even more like cutting your foot off .
Just be more careful when have fun . What kind of life would it be to go to work go home sit there on lawn site all nite ? Its like saying well someone t-boned a truck today so I'm not gonna drive my truck any more .
Old 05-03-2005, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man I hear ya about getting hurt! I also had a 4 wheeler accident last summer. I was standing up on the pegs as usual just going along the trail about 15 mph hit a small whoop and I guess i was just leaning a little too far forward and boom! I went head first over the handlebars into the hard gravely ground and the it ran me over! Broke my nose, my face looked like hamburger (it wasn't that bad really...) pulled alot of muscles in my back and neck and hurt my knee pretty bad. I was in a lot of pain and couldn't barely walk or get up and down. All that from a slow speed accident! Man, I had a helmet too, in the truck... I had to work no matter what, solo. I found fast that I could ride the mower but getting on and off of it was a slow process and dumping the bags was nearly impossible so i blew everything for a day or two as best I could. Thank god I had a friend that was at the time unemployed. He didnt know much about mowing, trimming or anything else but he was able to help me get stuff done that had to be done.

After all this I really had to start thinking, is it really worth risking my business to go out and ride a quad? Taking part in risky activities is part of some peoples every day lives, but when you are self employed and your physical ability to work is all you have to pay your bills... Is it worth it? Yeah, I could be in a car wreck or fall off my roof, who knows, accidents happen, but they are accidents. By going out and doing stuff that purposely put me at risk started to seem kinda crazy.

Hope you mend quickly! Nothing worse than working in pain....
Old 05-03-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
e .
I have been. Twice. Damn that hurts.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 05-04-2005, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doing dumb stuff while having fun always does seem like a great idea at the moment. Then, before the dumbest "trick" of the day is about to be performed, the most infamous, yet often recited words come out of the soon-to-be injured persons mouth.... "Hey, Bubba!! WATCH THIS!!!" About 10 seconds after these words are spoken, the "trickster" is now realizing that his awesome idea was not such a good idea after all!

Oh well, man. We all do dumb stuff sometimes. Just suck it up, carry your bandages and hobble around the lawns the best you can. You'll be good as new in about a month like someone else stated. Been there in '01 with road rash from a motorcycle accident. Yah, i was doin dumb stuff too! I looked like a mummy all wrapped up workin' the lawns, but i managed to get the work done. Now as i reflect on that for a second... THAT SUCKED!!!
"To have a nice, green, weed free lawn is a LUXURY. This holds true for a Cadillac pick-up. We don't have to have one, we just want it! Our Cadillac owning customers want the nice lawn. They paid for the Caddi, why not the lawn?" The moral here folks is, Charge Accordingly!

http://www.gardenplace.com/main.asp?page_id=38
www.j-thomas.com
www.weedalert.com
Old 05-04-2005, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies

I have delegated some work to a couple other friends of mine that own lco's here in Indy. I don't know what I would do without their help. I left myself some work to do, but not much, I know it will take me a while to get it done. As for the four wheeler. Haven't decided on selling it or not. Definitely will think twice before doing anything remotely crazy with it. It is great for plowing snow in the winter!
Thanks Guys
Old 05-04-2005, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
I do not agree with sitting on your A** just because you run a company you can do just as much on a mower maybe even more like cutting your foot off .
Just be more careful when have fun . What kind of life would it be to go to work go home sit there on lawn site all nite ? Its like saying well someone t-boned a truck today so I'm not gonna drive my truck any more .
No I have never been hit with a golf ball. . I did not tell him to sit on his A@@ as you put it. Common Sense needs to come into play at some point. You are about the same age as he, according to your profile do you take risks too? As you put it "just be more careful when have fun" that is where the common sense comes into play.

Now with me saying that, I too took a lot risks when I was your age so I know accidents can happen.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp
No I have never been hit with a golf ball. . I did not tell him to sit on his A@@ as you put it. Common Sense needs to come into play at some point. You are about the same age as he, according to your profile do you take risks too? As you put it "just be more careful when have fun" that is where the common sense comes into play.

Now with me saying that, I too took a lot risks when I was your age so I know accidents can happen.
hey i wasn't being an ass to ya but some people think just because you have a company to run that you cant take a risks. I mean you take one every day well more then one alot . Just saying do the dumb stuff everyone does in a safe manner like riding the 4 wheeler with a helmet I'm not saying he wasn't wearing one but be safe