Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2005, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I was doing maint/gardening 75% of my clients were elderly,And I kept doing about 6 of them after I started my landscaping business.I spoke one time to other green industry people about how they should
take xtra time to relate to and keep a closer watch on their elderly clients,

I got tromped on sooo bad told I was waisting time,called names,told I was being a shrink not a business person ect ect.
But I always have and always will watch after my older clients 1st and formost,most are alone and ignored by family.They have enriched my life and knowlage of life so much.I have lost about 5 now from old age.
Most people don't even bother to call and tell you.It's bad to pull up and the place is abandoned.
The last one I even went so far as to redecorate her bdrm for her,set the front of her bed on blocks so she could sit up to breath better.
Padded her very old metal boxspring mattress thick and replaced her bedding with pretty floral print comforted,bedskirt,pillow cases ,She told me a few times about a beutifull porciline doll she had won as a young child at a church raffel..she loved it but her Mom made her redonate it back to the church,and how she would never forget that.So I gave her my porcileine doll and put it on a stand by her bed.She got so happy and I think it gave her a little closure there.I hate dolls anyway.
Her daughter was against me doing all these things ,
But I told her it was bettween me and her mom,she offered to pay me I said no.So she was a bit more happy and comfortable when she passed over.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sheshovel,

That is awesome. Nothing wrong with take some time out of the day to talk with the elderly and gain valuable information.

JP
Old 05-18-2005, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Redwolf,

That is so cool. Next time have a cookie for me too. But you need to wash it down with milk for me.

JP
Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Money isnt everything as we can see.Do something nice and it will come back in the end.
Cant understand the relations sometimes There an old Italian guy across the road from a weekly job i do and he has alzheimers.He couldnt get his mower going so he said could i fix it I said no but i will mow your lawn if you would like.Took 10 mins.He asked how much ,would ten dollars be ok.I said sure no problem.Ok i did lawn he forgot to pay me and i didnt ask for the $.
Was at the regular job about a month later and the daughter and son in law came over and asked if id done the lawn then the daughter started to go on about me of exploiting her father.I said well my grandmother had alzheimers I know how terrible it is and i mowed your fathers lawn for free.She didnt believe me till the lady i mow for came out and defended my honesty and the fact i mowed the other elderly neighbors house for $5 cause thats all she could afford and she had no family to help her.
The son in law apologised but the daughter gives me the death stare everytime i see her. Dont figure
Old 05-19-2005, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie
Money isnt everything as we can see.Do something nice and it will come back in the end.
Cant understand the relations sometimes There an old Italian guy across the road from a weekly job i do and he has alzheimers.He couldnt get his mower going so he said could i fix it I said no but i will mow your lawn if you would like.Took 10 mins.He asked how much ,would ten dollars be ok.I said sure no problem.Ok i did lawn he forgot to pay me and i didnt ask for the $.
Was at the regular job about a month later and the daughter and son in law came over and asked if id done the lawn then the daughter started to go on about me of exploiting her father.I said well my grandmother had alzheimers I know how terrible it is and i mowed your fathers lawn for free.She didnt believe me till the lady i mow for came out and defended my honesty and the fact i mowed the other elderly neighbors house for $5 cause thats all she could afford and she had no family to help her.
The son in law apologised but the daughter gives me the death stare everytime i see her. Dont figure
family members have a tendancy to be that way, i think they feel that you are showing more care than they are, ( guilt trip) If they are having a guilt trip that is something they need to learn to deal with. I have several elderly that i care for far more than their family, I have others that the families pay for the lawn & plowing for the year. great people I might add.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Lawns
I just got a call from the neighbor of one of my customers telling me that he (my customer) is in the hospital pretty much waiting to die. He is 92 years old. Last year he was in great health and actually got around well, just a little hard of hearing. His wife died last year too. They say elderly folk usually don't last long after their spouse dies. I was wondering why he never called this year to renew services. I tried calling several times. Guess this answers my question. I agree, you should check in on, or at least pay close attention to your older customers
He passed on yesterday. I'm thinking of sending flowers and a card to the funeral home. Nothing extravagent, just something nice. What do you guys reccommend?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of people just want the money you would have spent on flowers,donated to their favorite charity,or church.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
He passed on yesterday. I'm thinking of sending flowers and a card to the funeral home. Nothing extravagent, just something nice. What do you guys reccommend?
very nice thought & gesture.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
If it's not to much trouble I would cut it for free 1 time and thank the relatives for his good memories
Old 05-19-2005, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All of the above are good suggestions. The right one is the one you feel from within.......

If you don't like my opinion...go around back for another view.