Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2005, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Mac Software

I see all this software for PC's but is there any software like gopher for the Mac?
Old 05-30-2005, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have yet to find any for Mac or Linux. Wish someone would make one in Java so it would run on any platform.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Figures, should have known there wouldn't be any mac software.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MAC software

I don't know of any either, but if you find some, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well for a Mac user this won't help much but I have found for Linux users running Linspire 5.0 that you can use crossover office to get Gopher Pro to load, at least the trial version. Had a moderator on the Linspire board try it. This could be a real advantage. Linux is cheap in contrast to Windows. You might try loading a Linux distro and use a dual boot system. That way you get to keep your Mac and can possibly still run Gopher.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by out4now
Well for a Mac user this won't help much but I have found for Linux users running Linspire 5.0 that you can use crossover office to get Gopher Pro to load, at least the trial version. Had a moderator on the Linspire board try it. This could be a real advantage. Linux is cheap in contrast to Windows. You might try loading a Linux distro and use a dual boot system. That way you get to keep your Mac and can possibly still run Gopher.
I don't want to start a holy war here, but unless you are computer savvy (like really savvy) I wouldn't recommend Linux. Windows is not expensive, it comes with any machine you'll ever find and if you have to buy it its like $150 or so?

I'm a former computer geek - and I installed Linux on my laptop for dual boot. I wanted to see what the big deal was. They've spent a lot of time making it look like Windows. It was cute and all, and great for underpowered computers and for servers, etc. but it didn't do any better than what I already have. That and I didn't feel like chasing down bastard drivers all over the web...

In short, Windows XP is way better than any previous Windows release, and I can't see any reason to dump it. The Mac OS is fine too.

I can't think of any reason (aside from just hating MS) that someone would have Linux on their desktop. Just my opinion...
Old 05-31-2005, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlawn
I don't want to start a holy war here, but unless you are computer savvy (like really savvy) I wouldn't recommend Linux. Windows is not expensive, it comes with any machine you'll ever find and if you have to buy it its like $150 or so?

I'm a former computer geek - and I installed Linux on my laptop for dual boot. I wanted to see what the big deal was. They've spent a lot of time making it look like Windows. It was cute and all, and great for underpowered computers and for servers, etc. but it didn't do any better than what I already have. That and I didn't feel like chasing down bastard drivers all over the web...

In short, Windows XP is way better than any previous Windows release, and I can't see any reason to dump it. The Mac OS is fine too.

I can't think of any reason (aside from just hating MS) that someone would have Linux on their desktop. Just my opinion...
I have a Linux distro and never had to hunt down any drivers. MS by the time you add the ofice suite is very expensive. Compare about 800 to 60 bucks. Linux has come a long way lately. It takes a few minutes to boot depending on the system. The area they are really lacking in is the arena of gaming. Apparently Atari is working on that side. Don't care because I don't play games myself. You should take a look at some of the new distros. They are so cheap it doesn't cost much. What did you run before?
Old 05-31-2005, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by out4now
I have a Linux distro and never had to hunt down any drivers. MS by the time you add the ofice suite is very expensive. Compare about 800 to 60 bucks. Linux has come a long way lately. It takes a few minutes to boot depending on the system. The area they are really lacking in is the arena of gaming. Apparently Atari is working on that side. Don't care because I don't play games myself. You should take a look at some of the new distros. They are so cheap it doesn't cost much. What did you run before?
You got me, I was actually forgetting about the applications. StarOffice is still free for Windows, though, isn't it? I had trouble with my wireless NIC in my laptop.

I was running Fedora (free). I'm just so sick of helping out my in-laws, mother, nephew, etc. with their computers, that the thought of one of them installing Linux gives me the willies...
Old 05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No. Star is like 75 bucks through Sun. I have Star 8 beta which was free. OpenOffice.org is the same thing minus a few fonts and completely free. Have it on both Windows and Linux machine. I can get a heavy discount on the new Star when it comes out through the Linspire CNR but I really don't need it. Linspire 5 and Xandros have really good Wifi support now and I think SUSe does. The only reason I still have a Windows machine is for school. I still need to turn it papers with spreadsheets at times. I can Write Word documents with my Linux version of OpenOffice but I can't do excel. I can read everything they send me though, Word, Wordperfect, Powerpoint, Excel, Star of course. The main two things Linux does not have that I'd like, better Project mangement software and publishing software. Disney got Adobe photshop to work with crossover office, haven't tried it yet myself. Fedora, is quirky! Try something Debian based.