Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2005, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Started my 4-7 day cutting schedule

Well, this the first week that I started cutting the lawns on my spring rotation. If I cut your lawn on Monday then you will be cut again on Friday. So this week went like this: Rte 1 on Monday, Rte 2 Tuesday, Rte 3 Weds. Rte 4 Thurs, Rte 1 Friday. Next week will be Rte 2 on Mon, Rte 3 on Tues, Rte 4 on Weds, Rte 1 on Thurs, and then Rte 2 on Friday. I do this until I get Rte 1 back on Monday. Basically the customer is paying for one extra cut in the month of May.

My question is has anybody else started their springtime cutting schedule yet?

JP
Old 05-07-2005, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We just did. But not everyone is on a 5 day rotation....only those that grow aggressively are.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
We just did. But not everyone is on a 5 day rotation....only those that grow aggressively are.
Do you do these like on Monday then again on Saturday. Out of the 4 routes that I have rte 1 really does not have a lot of fast growers. But to keep them all on schedule I went ahead and did them all. That route has the most driving miles. From the time I leave home till the time I get back I put on 25 miles on the truck.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp
Do you do these like on Monday then again on Saturday. Out of the 4 routes that I have rte 1 really does not have a lot of fast growers. But to keep them all on schedule I went ahead and did them all. That route has the most driving miles. From the time I leave home till the time I get back I put on 25 miles on the truck.
25 miles?? i wish i only put 25 miles on my longest day, i drive 70 miles round trip to cut one place, it a commerical property that takes me an hour to do, i refuse to pay my helpers to sit in the truck for a hour so i do that one first thing in morning and pick them up about 830, we cut here once a week
Toro G3 60 with 34 kaw
Toro 52 Z Master with 30 kohler
Toro 52 Z Master with 28 Kaw
Toro 32 inch
Toro 37 inch
Walker 20 hp with 42 inch deck
Walker 26 efi with 42 inch deck
Sthil weedeaters.edger, 3 Blowers 770 , chainsaws, hedgetrimmer
2008 F-250
2006 F-350 4x4
Old 05-09-2005, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp
Wow 25 miles lol. I would kill to have a 25 mile route. Must be nice living in the city. I put 109 miles in on sat for 5 really good size accts. Made 350 bucks but still lot of driving. Us coutry boys take what we can get. But we also don't have disposal fees. Just dump the grass in the pasture and the cows love it or in town dump it at the curb and the city comes oon mondays to get it. We burn leaves and limbs and anything cows won't eat.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes
Wow 25 miles lol. I would kill to have a 25 mile route. Must be nice living in the city. I put 109 miles in on sat for 5 really good size accts. Made 350 bucks but still lot of driving. Us coutry boys take what we can get. But we also don't have disposal fees. Just dump the grass in the pasture and the cows love it or in town dump it at the curb and the city comes oon mondays to get it. We burn leaves and limbs and anything cows won't eat.

I do love the short driving distance that is for sure. All my routes are very tight with the lawns pretty close to each other. With what you can do with the yard I wish I can do that. Drop it off and let the cows eat it.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianj
25 miles?? i wish i only put 25 miles on my longest day, i drive 70 miles round trip to cut one place, it a commerical property that takes me an hour to do, i refuse to pay my helpers to sit in the truck for a hour so i do that one first thing in morning and pick them up about 830, we cut here once a week
So do you have 2 to 2.5 hours of time involved there with drive time? I don't blame you for not wanting to pay the help for that kind of drive time.

JP