Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2005, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris vs Scag, my opinion

I'm finally about ready to drop a wad on a ztr, and narrowed the choice for me down to the Ferris 1500 and Scag Tiger Cub. I demoed both machines over the last week, and thought I would share my thoughts with you all.

First, some background. These demos were the first time I have ever sat on a ztr. I've used my trusty Scag WB for over 3 years now. The demo machines were a 23/52 cub, and a 21/48 ferris 1500. I wanted to demo the ferris in a 52, but the dealer was sold out of them.

Overall, both machines looked to be well made. Controls were all easy access, and the deck lift systems were easy to operate as well as quick and easy change of the deck height on both. Scag definitely wins in the fuel capacity category. Come on Ferris, a 6 gallon tank for a 21+ hp machine? booooo The cup holder on the Ferris is an interesting idea, but what happens when you hit a big bump? Steering on the Ferris was very sensitive, but required very little operator effort on the steering arms. The Cub was a bit less sensitive on the steering, and the dampened steering arms require a tad more effort. I'm glad I got my feet wet on the Scag first tho, because I would have probably torn up a bit more turf on the Ferris being a ztr rookie.

Now for the all important quality of the cut. I took the Scag out fairly early in the am, after rain the night before. The Scag handled the wet condition better than I expected, with little to no clumping. The cut was very nice, and the stripe with no striping kit was nice, as I would expect from a Scag. The Ferris was taken out fairly early in the am also, and I started cutting after the frost had mostly melted to dew. The Ferris seemed to load up the deck and puke a bit more than would have been desirable, but as things dried up a bit (but still damp) the cut was beautiful. The stripe left by the Ferris rivaled that of the Scag. btw, both machines had factory high lift blades.

As far as the suspension on the 1500, it may have smoothed out the bumps a bit, but it sure didn't get rid of them. I hear the Ferris 3000 has a better suspension system, but I'm sticking to the smaller ztr's for now. I would actually have to say the ride between the two machines was pretty even.

Price wise, the Scag is about $500 more than the Ferris, but to get a Ferris I'll have to wait at least 2 weeks before they get more with the 52" deck. Ferris has a more attractive financing option, but Scag's isn't all that terrible. What will I get, stay tuned.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I have looked at the two machines you are talking about only in 44 to 48". I have yet to demo and am torn between the two. I have both lit packets right next to my bed. BAD HUH.

The plus side to the Ferris over the Scag in my area is Ferris is about 10 min from where I live 30 or the Scag. One thing I did like about the Scag was how easy it was to change belts and how easy fluid changes are. I will go check out the Ferris again when they get in the 44.

I'M TORN ALSO!
Old 05-06-2005, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

farrris vs scag, my opinion

I also test drove both of these mowers. I did not mow with either one of them. I liked the deck height adjustment on the farris better than the scag. However, I could not control the farris well enough to travel along a fence to mimic triming slightly under it. I found the scag was superb in its handling and control characteristics. If I could have handled the farris better in tight situations I would have bought it. They were having a promotional on the 48 inch for $5200. I am currently trying to decide between a Dixon Kodiac 50 inch ($5200) and the scag tiger cub ($6200). One thing to check before purchasing a scag. I under stand that scag has recalled some models of its tiger cubs (kaw engine?) due to fuel leaking out of carburetors which have caused fires. I would make sure your particular model has been modified or fixed prior to purchase. web site is www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtm105/05060.html
Old 05-06-2005, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag V Ferris

Hello all, I just completed my search and research of z turn mowers.
I tested all in my area including exmark,scag,deer,and ferris. Last week
i purchased a IS1500 21/48" Ferris. This mower is new on the o5 market.
My criteria was, quality,price,service, in that order. Now in a nutshell..
Deer 717- overpriced at $6k in my area
Old 05-06-2005, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag V Ferris

Deer 717-48" - overpriced at $6k in my area, 7 iron,no big deal
Exmark Laser HP- overpriiced also, ROPS is nice if you need it
Scag Tiger Cub- the most heavily built, a clone of Laser HP
Old 05-06-2005, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag V Ferris

Scag Tiger Cub- the most heavily built, a clone of Laser HP.
FERRIS IS1500- The price made me look closer and the compatible
quality convinced me to buy, a good machine. Comparable to any
Old 05-06-2005, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag V Ferris

of the three popular mowers above. That suspension does make a diff.
Thanks
Mag12
Old 05-06-2005, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag V Ferris

of the three popular mowers above. That suspension does make a diff.
Thanks
Mag12
53 Jubilee Ford
86 Deer 160
03 Ranger v6
82 320I
05 FERRIS IS 1500 KAW21

Last edited by mag12; 05-06-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mcdonald
I also test drove both of these mowers. I did not mow with either one of them. I liked the deck height adjustment on the farris better than the scag. However, I could not control the farris well enough to travel along a fence to mimic triming slightly under it. I found the scag was superb in its handling and control characteristics. If I could have handled the farris better in tight situations I would have bought it. They were having a promotional on the 48 inch for $5200. I am currently trying to decide between a Dixon Kodiac 50 inch ($5200) and the scag tiger cub ($6200). One thing to check before purchasing a scag. I under stand that scag has recalled some models of its tiger cubs (kaw engine?) due to fuel leaking out of carburetors which have caused fires. I would make sure your particular model has been modified or fixed prior to purchase. web site is www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtm105/05060.html

The recall was just for the carborator vent hose in SOME cases fuel would drip out the bottom of the hose which caused a fire issue.My tiger cub was one of the recalled units all they did was put a longer vent hose on so if there did happen to be a drip it wouldnt be near anything hot.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I also test all 3 machines plus the Dixon, I went with the Ferris.I have only have 40 hours on the machine since November, mostly use my 60 ' mower. On the fuel issue I can run 2 days on 1 fill up, approx 40 yards. On the Dixon, it will not hold a hill my Ferris will go anywhere my 60" can. Ferris and Exmark had the same quality cut followed closely by the Scag, the cut of the Dixon was now where close.