Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2005, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After fueling I'd go in and use the restroom and buy some snacks.
www.hrbuyersandsellers.com
WE BUY HOUSES
Old 05-06-2005, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have not had this happen while getting gas, but last summer I was putting air in my tires on my truck. The air compresser hose and meter for the station is on the backside of the building. I am going to put 38 pounds in each tire, they were at 32 when I start, so 6 pounds in each tire. Truck was just bought about 2 weeks before this and it was running below the 38-44 recommended for the truck. So anyway, I am sitting there just finishing up with the first tire putting the cap back on when a complete POS pulls up in a scuzbucket mid 80s Chevy Van rusted to the bejesus belt with a spare tire for a camper needing air. Hey you kid(im 26 by the way), how much f'n longer are you gonna be? This jerkoff was there for about 20 seconds literally and he is already spouting off. Im gonna be as long as it takes ahole, my words exactly here with the real word used instead of the toned down Lawnsite version. I got 3 tires more to do and I am gonna take my sweet ass time doing them now buddy. This guy is ranting and raving, I know for a fact I could have easily beat his drunk ass within an inch of his life if he got froggy, no question about it. Im gonna go talk to the owner and make him move your sorry ass, you are wasting my time. I said go ahead. The owner, who has known my dad since they were 8 years old and are still good friends to this day, comes out and sees me and says, Matt, how ya doing? I said fine Jim, hows business. Jim already did not care for the jerkwads tone and basically was coming out here to do what I was doing, wasting this guys time for being a complete jerk. Are you gonna make him move so I can get this tire filled? Jim said no and dont ever come into my place of business again and start ranting and raving and causing a scene because you have no patience and cant wait your turn like a civilized human being. This absolutely pushed this hungover whack job off the deep end. He storms away cussing and screaming and Jim and I have a chuckle. By the way, we really had a chuckle when this guys burns rubber out of the station(who knew that could happen in a POS 80s van by the way) right in front of a policeman waiting at the light. 100 yards down the road and Mr Jerkwad is getting a nice ticket for being a complete moron. Instead of acting like a normal human being and being patient, he ends up making a fool of himself and costing himself I would guess in the neighborhood of $100. What a dope. Man that was a long story!
989-277-9064 (cell)
Old 05-06-2005, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with tony1045,i would have checked EVERYTHING truck and trailer,took my sweet a## time.You should call the store manager and explai the situation,I'm sure they would side with you,matbe even get a little something something for the trouble.nothing like some old battle ax to start the day off huh??
Old 05-06-2005, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First come, first served...period.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Patience is a virtue

I buy gasoline at Sam's Club. They have the lowest price for gasoline here at $1.96 per gallon. There are always long lines to get fuel. The wait can be as long as 15 minutes, if you happen to be behind my rig. I fill both my truck fuel tanks, the mower fuel tanks, and several 5 gallon gas cans straight gasoline plus the cans with the 2-cycle mix.
One day last week, I had to circle the 6 or 7 islands to get the pump on my side of the truck to fuel it. I was pulling my trailer and had to swing wide. A "lady", and I use that term loosely, tried to cut me off at the pump. I continued my swing, and she had to swerve to get out of the way. She gave me the one finger salute and was mouthing curse words.
Some people. By the time I parked, she had circled back around, as the typical cars in line at the other pumps were 3 to 4, and growing, and proceeded to park behind me. I took my turn in line to it's full advantage.
I topped off both the pickup's tanks, rocking the truck to get the last tablespoon of gasoline in until the tanks were topped off and would hold no more. Hung up the hose, shot a glance at my 'friend' waiting behind me. She started up and had her hand on the gear shife, poised to take my place. I got my receipt for the fuel for the truck, got in to pull up my trailer, she was all grins and giggles, until I stopped and proceeded to fill up my mowers and gas cans, taking the time to flush the Red Max 2-cycle pre-measured bottles with gasoline, using my thumb to cover the top while I shook the pre-measured bottle and poured it into the cans to be filled, [don't want to waste oil] laying the hose down while I shook, and poured the contents into my gas can, being sure to properly dispose the throw-away, the adding gasoline to the half way mark, pausing to shake the gas can, [to insure proper mixing] in general, taking my time.
By this time her gaze was fixed. One hand tightly gripping the steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position her arm straight from her shoulder, her other arm resting on the door sill, her hand gripping and massaging her forehead. She Knew! I was teaching her a lesson.

patience is a virtue.

The next time in line I got caught behind a large motor home apparently on empty, with 3 empty 5 gallon gas cans they had to fill, towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I knew needed to be filled up.
I got caught up on my logbook waiting, happily.

Life is short enough as it is without letting trivial things bother you. I wish everyone felt the same.

This is nothing compared to the gasoline rationing in the 70' kiddies. You have no idea, unless you are over well over 40.

Luckily my family farm [plantation] had our own fuel!

Life is good.

Last edited by captken; 05-06-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I pulled up to a gas pump the other day and stopped. The angle I had to pull in was bad and my trailer was a mile away, so I had to pull through and back up to the pump. This jerk of a woman pulls up behind me and won't let me back up, I decided I would sit there with my reverse lights on for a while and the stubborn bag wouldn't move. I sat and sat for about 3 or 4 min, then decided, " the world is full of a holes" so I tried to go to another pump. I circled around the pumps and try to pull up to another one. Long bed 2500 and 12' trailer don't turn on a dime, so I pull up and back up a little, pull up and back up. I'm finally in position to pull up to the pump, and this major scrub jerkoff pull right in front of me almost causing me to hit him in the side of the truck. He came flying in the parking lot with his 80's model chevy towing his 4x8 with rusty old craftman, and pulled up to my pump. I wanted to teach him a lesson, but I kept my head cool and didn't say anything. I can't believe the nerve of some people.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
PMLAWN She may be a regular customer of the inside of the store (where the profits are). The reason that most gas stations are now mini marts or more is the profit is made inside and not at the pumps.
Please no more I can't take it anymore the same old crap story of the poor mini-mart guy that can't afford to buy his kids xmas presents because he makes NOOOO money on gas, its all made on the $4 a gallon milk, smokes, beer, pop, bait, lottery tickets etc. C'mon!! who the heck goes into a business such as one that, as its main commodity, sells gas full well knowing they will lose their shirt on the gas end of it? This argument never has and never will hold water.

I got an Uncle that owns the ground a station sits on they lease it from him for only a couple of pennies per gallon sold per month. Check out your local mini mart especially one in a half way decent location, watch for an hour at how many vehicles go through the pumps, you can figure the owners cut to be around .10 per gallon. A good location, watch for an hour do the math. The inside crap helps but don't tell me these guys make no money from gas Jeeeze

-Geoff
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men. :Cool Hand Luke (1967)
Old 05-07-2005, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

say what you want, I bet they make the most on lottery tickets. "can I have one of those and three of those, and...."
Old 05-07-2005, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Pro
Please no more I can't take it anymore the same old crap story of the poor mini-mart guy that can't afford to buy his kids xmas presents because he makes NOOOO money on gas, its all made on the $4 a gallon milk, smokes, beer, pop, bait, lottery tickets etc. C'mon!! who the heck goes into a business such as one that, as its main commodity, sells gas full well knowing they will lose their shirt on the gas end of it? This argument never has and never will hold water.

I got an Uncle that owns the ground a station sits on they lease it from him for only a couple of pennies per gallon sold per month. Check out your local mini mart especially one in a half way decent location, watch for an hour at how many vehicles go through the pumps, you can figure the owners cut to be around .10 per gallon. A good location, watch for an hour do the math. The inside crap helps but don't tell me these guys make no money from gas Jeeeze

-Geoff
Geoff, Hang on their a minskie kiddo! My brother is a manager at a Hess station, he tells me that they MAKE more money in beer and subs then they do in gas. I did not believe him, but he swears by it. I said, 'So, you mean to tell me that you guys make more $ selling beer and subs, then you do selling gas"? "Defintely, gas is in there, most definately top ten, but not the top dollar maker" he says. I also think that it is a geographic/location thing too. Just because his station makes more $ in beer and subs, does not mean beer and subs do well at other stations. Some people may only need gas, and just gas, and may not want to stop at the local mini mart to get it. I know there are gas stations around here that have bare minimum stuff, because gas is their big seller. Location, location, location..........
Regards,
Tim
RedMax shaft trimmer Model#BCZ2400S BRAND NEW! $250
Sthil handheld Blower/shreder Runs good! $75

http://cgi.ebay.com/LANDSCAPE-MOWING...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-07-2005, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Everytime I got to the gas station it's a PITA. I was stupid enough to park righ by the tanker. Then a guy pulls up behind me I was so PISSED UNTIL he told me I left my cap off. Then it made it all better. I also got yelled at by the tanker guy HAY U STUPID MOTHER *^%#$!@ Put that cigarette out!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find the best time to go to the gas station is 3am NOT the day before work.