Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2005, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Geoff, Hang on their a minskie kiddo! My brother is a manager at a Hess station, he tells me that they MAKE more money in beer and subs then they do in gas. I did not believe him, but he swears by it. I said, 'So, you mean to tell me that you guys make more $ selling beer and subs, then you do selling gas"? "Defintely, gas is in there, most definately top ten, but not the top dollar maker" he says. I also think that it is a geographic/location thing too. Just because his station makes more $ in beer and subs, does not mean beer and subs do well at other stations. Some people may only need gas, and just gas, and may not want to stop at the local mini mart to get it. I know there are gas stations around here that have bare minimum stuff, because gas is their big seller. Location, location, location..........
Regards,
Tim
Tim

I don't doubt you a bit but if you read the one little point in my post I said I realize they make money off the diversification part of the station but for heavens sake I can't take another person talking about how they make no money on gas, what the H kind of business sense does that make? Some I've seen make more than others on gas but thta goes back to location and competition. I know the money my Uncle makes in rent is a hefty chunk of change each month. In this case the mini mart sits on a heavily traveled main highway, has little competition, but is only open until 11 p.m. (they do open at 5 a.m.). Point is if your smart enough and lucky enough to have that good location (in other words a good buisness head) you will make money off the gas, true not all off gas alone but a heckuva a good chunk.

Any way I may be venting a bit here the gas prices are killin me man But I don't get to stressed out about it, this added cost gets passed on to my customers, much like every other commodity broker passes them on to the rest of us.

-Geoff
Old 05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would have refused and pointed out how much gas you were buying

# 8
Old 05-07-2005, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncare3
I also got yelled at by the tanker guy HAY U STUPID MOTHER *^%#$!@ Put that cigarette out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, but if you couldn't read signs that should be posted at the pumps and on the tanker that demand "NO SMOKING", then you had every right to be yelled at. Maybe not in those exact words, but still.... it seems some people lack common sense around gas pumps.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Treated like 2nd class citizens"

That really s_cked, ......Once I stopped to go to the bathroom at a gas station [ I was makein sales calls & in my car, w/ magnetics], The "Guy said "No"!...............I was mad, got all the local guys I knew to stop gettin gas there! .......At the time I had 3-trucks & a Chipper, Enen went as far to let the gas guy know that ?..........So Screw him & every other Bone head
Old 05-07-2005, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncare3
Everytime I got to the gas station it's a PITA. I was stupid enough to park righ by the tanker. Then a guy pulls up behind me I was so PISSED UNTIL he told me I left my cap off. Then it made it all better. I also got yelled at by the tanker guy HAY U STUPID MOTHER *^%#$!@ Put that cigarette out!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find the best time to go to the gas station is 3am NOT the day before work.

Why would you possibly be smoking while you are pumping gas? Are you afraid that the cigarettes alone aren't going to kill you fast enough?
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

alka

This was the perfect time to toss an Alka Seltzer tab into your month, put the hat on that says "KILL THEM ALL'', with you foaming at the mouth, she would have hauled a$$ out of there!!!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I always run into a problem at the gas station, and my trailer is small!. I just find it best not to go at rush hour-ie right before people are going to work, or just as they are getting out. Early morning or late night is the best.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mean People Suck!

Re: Scag at the pump,,,

Just ignore her,,,keep doing what your doing,, act like your deaf! If they get out of there car and come-up Bit#hen,,,,Look at them confused and then with your hands making Sign Language type motions ,,say with a hairlip accent, wat da heckis your problim??? r you talkin to me? IM DEAF!! Now go sit your a$$ down and wait your turn!,,Bit(H!

I cant stand impatient ignorant jerks! Like I said Mean People Suck!

Gravely ZT XL 48" 24hp Kawasaki
Husqvarna 48" Belt drive W/ETS W/Pro-slide
21 White W/bagger
Toro 4 Stroke B/P blower
Toro Split shaft trimmer
assorted attachments 5x8 trailer
94 ECLB 6.5 K2500 Chevy ~ SnoWay 8ft plow
Old 05-07-2005, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Martinez
This was the perfect time to toss an Alka Seltzer tab into your month, put the hat on that says "KILL THEM ALL'', with you foaming at the mouth, she would have hauled a$$ out of there!!!!!
Oh man i laughed my a$$ off when i read that one

I go to a place right down the road from me, its close, on the way to the accounts, the pumps are in a line so they're single, not the one in front of the other so you got your pump and you can move forward and reverse if needed. We also have "sheetz" here, they're by far the cheapest for gas but they don't have diesel so i don't go there, they also have HUGE lots which is real nice. I've never had a problem at gas stations, just get to know the people that work there by going there daily and your coverd.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a story from a self-serve carwash I go to frequently--I usually go over my truck once with the whole deal--rinse, soap brush, rinse again-then go over it again to get any missed spots- and everytime I pull into a bay, theres ALWAYS someone who pulls in right behind me when there are other bays open and waits until I'm finished to go in--I don't understand why someone would want to wait 20 minutes when they can go to the bay next to me...

Jason