Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-07-2005, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
On a differrent note I go for the full sun protection. I use pants, long sleeved shirt, and gloves all year long. I actually feel cooler in the summer beigng all covered up. I have been doing this for at least 5 years now and our summer days are usually 95 - 105 degrees. I do go through a couple gallons of water on those hot days.

Where do you find long sleeved shirts that are light enough to wear in the summer? Also, do you wear jeans or some kind of light weight pants?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie03
Where do you find long sleeved shirts that are light enough to wear in the summer? Also, do you wear jeans or some kind of light weight pants?

I use uniform button up shirts made by Dickies. I do wear denim pants but at my previous employer I used the uniform slacks they are cooler. Once you start to sweat a little your clothes act like a swamp cooler and even a light breeze will cool you down significantly. Now in the summer if I don't use a long sleeved shirt the sun feels like it's burning my skin.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I might be able to help you

"Baseball style hat but, I prefer the brim hat. Only problem is I wear ear muffs and I can't wear them and a brim hat."

Can't Where your Peltors???

OK, for you all who experience the above.... I have found a hat with a good brim, lightweight, and adjustable size.

Check out Columbia Sportsware Hat at your local camping/hiking store. If you tape the antenna down on your peltors they fit confortably under hat. Was $25 when I got one at the beginning of the season.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HacMan91
Ive got a wide brim landscape hat. I ordered it out of Gemplers. Its kind of netted on the top so when the wind blows I can feel it on top of my head. The Peltors are worn around the back of my head. With this hat I dont get the red neck like years past. I sweat like a horse with a ball cap.

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/produ...53491257380391
That looks like a good hat I might try it this year cuz the straw ones just don't last and when I take um off I tend to throw in the truck and you know what happens to straw hats thrown into the cab of the truck..Crush and smash.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just wear a baseball had. With (you guessed it, for those who know me) "Wright Commercial product" on it.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 05-11-2005, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I use uniform button up shirts made by Dickies. I do wear denim pants but at my previous employer I used the uniform slacks they are cooler. Once you start to sweat a little your clothes act like a swamp cooler and even a light breeze will cool you down significantly. Now in the summer if I don't use a long sleeved shirt the sun feels like it's burning my skin.
Greenfrog,I have total respect for anyone who can work in the heat of the Central Valley,alot of times there is no breeze how do you stand it then.That has gotta be the hottest hardest to breathe place to work in the U.S.A.what with the air quality that can do permenant lung damage every time you take a breath,Do you work on bad air days?And the heat is like an oven,it's horrible working conditions for you if you are where I think you are I feel not only respect,but I feel sorry for you.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Greenfrog,I have total respect for anyone who can work in the heat of the Central Valley,alot of times there is no breeze how do you stand it then.That has gotta be the hottest hardest to breathe place to work in the U.S.A.what with the air quality that can do permenant lung damage every time you take a breath,Do you work on bad air days?And the heat is like an oven,it's horrible working conditions for you if you are where I think you are I feel not only respect,but I feel sorry for you.

We do have some of the worst air in the country. Not much air movement in the summer and usually 100 degrees. It doesn't feel as bad since I quit my first/last job, I was a spray tech and had to wear alot of PPE. Imagine this in the summer, coveralls, disposable respirator, rubber boots and gloves and heat in the upper 90's and dragging 300' of hose. I thought I was going to die on some of those days. It was hard to walk away from that big paycheck though, I quit three times before I finally walked away for good.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Banned

For the guys that said they wear (or want to wear) a wide brim hat, but can't use Peltors then, how about the boonies with snaps to hold up the sides?

You would still have the brim to protect your face and neck, but with the sides snapped up, you could still wear Peltors/hearing protection over the hat then.

I don't wear a hat, but I should, and one of these days I'll finally just do it.
It's just stupid vanity holding me back, hats don't look good on me.

I would probably go with a boonie for face AND neck protection.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I normally wear something like this:

But I'm beginning to consider a straw hat, Southern States usually has good deals on them.
Attached Images

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Basebell 'til it starts scorchin...then the desert boonie, flip the sides up Desert Storm style and put on the muffs. When it gets even hotter, the sides come down and the plugs go in!