Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2005, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just Trimming

A good number of homeowners here prefer to cut their own grass but I rarely ever see a homeowner out happily trimming around the trees. What if you provided a service of just trimming around trees, beds and the house? Granted you would already have to be in the neighborhood or driving by the house to make any money on it, but would it work?
Old 05-07-2005, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you say "will it work", I'm not sure what you exactly you mean. Sure you may be able to line up some customers so in that sense sure, it works. But I would think that to spend any money on trying to market such an idea would be a waste. How much do you think you're going to make just trimming? $10-$20 dollars? Doesn't seem worth it to me. This of course is only my opinion. If you think you can make it work, go for it.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I only do this for one person...a lady who lives right dwon the street from me and she enjoys mowing her own lawn. About twice a month she ll have me weedeat and edge. I dont really do it for the money; I do it to keep her happy b/c she travels for a few months at a time( she works for a disaster relief agency) Last year I mowed for her for about 3 months while she was gone.
EHO
Old 05-07-2005, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done this in the past. The only problem is that the customer will call you when he mows the lawn and wants it trimmed that day. If the job is not on that day's route you have to make special trip.

It usually doesn't work out unless you have a very tight route.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We do a couple like this but we trim it whenever we want not when they call. We also have a couple that we only cut once per month the rest of the time a neighbour kid does it. If it's already cut when we get there we just touch it up and do the trimming and charge full price. Over the course of the year she saves a few dollars and at least once per month her place looks good. I think the kid is a relative and hopefully someday he will be big enough to trim himself.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Marketing would be done with door hangers from current advertisements. You would have your normal advertisements except you would have a little section marketing "Just Trimming".

Another good point, you would have to make sure the customer understands the trimming will be done when you are already in the neighborhood.

What I mean by "Will it work" is would it be a profitable part of lawn care? Would you be able to make money on trimming weekly for customers that like to cut their own grass? Would it be worth it?
Old 05-07-2005, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do a "trim only" for one lady who lives beside 3 other lawns that I cut. She is still able to cut hers and she enjoys it but she can't do the trimming. This gal really loves her lawn too. Fertilizes, weed sprays, repairs bad spots, the works, and waters EVERY day.
But that's the only one I would trim only for. ($10 per shot)
Old 05-07-2005, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We also do another one where all we cut is a strip about 10' wide. It's a small ditch and the elderly female owner cuts the 4 acres except for this little hill. My wife cuts in on her way past.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had the same idea...put it on fliers & also on website......... no takers as of yet......... Only could do it on existing route as you said earlier.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALarsh
A good number of homeowners here prefer to cut their own grass but I rarely ever see a homeowner out happily trimming around the trees. What if you provided a service of just trimming around trees, beds and the house? Granted you would already have to be in the neighborhood or driving by the house to make any money on it, but would it work?
Yeah, but the way I would do it is load the weed-eater in my car and line up about 20-30 yards in a day and just zoom from one to the next, at 10-20 bucks/each, there's your 300+/day.

Don't think it looks unprofessional, I treat weeds and do some hedge trimming and other silly jobs like that where you can just load the stuff in the trunk of the car and zoom around all day at a fraction of the fuel and the customers still all smile a lot (guess they think I am nuts). But then most these guys are regular customers who also see my truck and trailer and half of them never even realize I stopped by since I'm usually in-and-out in 10-15, maybe 20 minutes... Charge them a dollar/minute, is way I do it. Then you just gotta bust your tail REAL hard so it don't cost them but a few dollars, and voila.