Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2000, 06:53 AM

A friend said he saw an atv pulling a finish type mower at a high rate of speed. he was cutting a super walmart and doing a crappy job in his opinion. Sure enough. I passed that walmart and here is this guy head down cutting a 10' wide slop along side of the road. He was cutting faster than I had EVER seen anyone cut grass. Looked like he was at a motorcross and heading for the finish line. It was a funny site. Must have been an employee. The mower looked like it was dragging the ground on the curves. What did the job he was doing look like you say? Well if Mr. Walmart(if he is alive) would have dropped his teethe if he had saw the results.
Old 05-05-2000, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

And as an added bonus you can tour around<br>the country doing your best Evel Kenevel<br>impression throught the winter months. <p>Karl<br>
Old 05-05-2000, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen these used in the huntin camps but never in town,musta been a sight !<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 05-05-2000, 07:19 PM

Looks to me like something might have happened to that lawn comapany lol. I want by today and they had cut it so fast that is like much of the grass had laid down and popped back up. No one had weedeated it yet. This walmart is in the city limits and should have the manicured look. A business saw him from accross the street and told me it looked dangerous the way he was speeding. Will those things do 30mph? lol Thats what it looked like he was doing.
Old 05-05-2000, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats why I always laugh at Dixie Chopper operators<br>who say they cut at top speed (a.k.a. transport speed) My pro cut Z Ferris can go pretty damn fast too but If you cut at that speed it looks like hell!!
Old 05-05-2000, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Gus but i must disagree about the dixies.At 12 m.p.h.,on good open acreage with double blades i have beautiful results.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 05-05-2000, 11:36 PM
Banned

okay...here's an idea for a commercial for a mid mower...pioneers on a wagon train on the great plains, so flat with grasses wavin' in the wind even the horses would fall asleep standing up...these guys sittin' up drivin' horses( they've been out in the feild for weeks/months and it shows!) suddenly they hear a strange noise.....some surfer type rolls on by with a Ferris 52 and jungle wheels and yells,&quot; it's a Ferris!!!!&quot; as he clips on by the wagon train waving with grass flyin' out the side! yeeeehawww!!!!
Old 05-06-2000, 12:10 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Sorry Gus but I must disagree about the Choppers too. I didn't believe it either, until I got mine. The lawns on my website are cut at 8 to 10 MPH and I've had several compliments on them. Nobody has said they look like hell, at least not yet. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 05-06-2000, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

So you cut at nearly the top speed of your machine? I must be missing something or the <br>Chopper I owned 5 years ago must have been<br>defective. You`re a better man than me which is why I finally got a Ferris I/S. Actually the worst part of any Z I ever owned was getting bounced around on uneven properties.<br>
Old 05-07-2000, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Must have been defective Gus, I used to laugh when I heard p[eople talking about the choppers and their ability to mow at 10 mph! Of course I owned a Scag then and thought it was the best thing on the market. Now I enjoy mowing at full tilt every chance I get, with no leftovers behind me. My 72&quot; City Slicker will leave a 6' wide swath just as clean at 10mph as it will at 5, I do it every day.<p>We also have a Walmart in our town and the guy that has the contract does one crappy job! It must be a national thing, you would think that as well as I've heard they pay, they would expect more for their money! It may be a tall tale but I heard the guy gets $3600.00 a month for our store!!!!!! I hope thats a tale, if not I'm turning into a lowballer real soon!!!!!!!!!!!<p>Homer