Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buying first round of equipment...

I need advise on what my first-round of equipment should be...

A 32"+ or 48" walkbehind with a sulke (How wide are most fence gates?)
Is a floating deck or fixed deck the way to go?
I know that a floating deck will make a nicer cut, but how does that stack up to cost and durability?
Which brand/model is the best bang for the buck? (opinions very welcome).
Old 05-09-2005, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If money is an issue and it always is with a start up, find a used 36 belt drive that someone purchased last year and isn't gonna be a LOC this year. That way you've got lower costs and might make some money your first year.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think the best way to go is find an used hydro fixed deck mower.... if your funds are low, but u have enough for either an hydro, fixed deck mower or an belt, floating mower.... i think the hydro is better over floating in this case.... but if you hold out long enough and am in no rush look for a good deal on an hydro, floating mower...

i've seen used exmark 48'' tthp (floating & hydro) w/few hundred hrs on it go for about $2,500.... this mower new is about $4,800
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have gates, or think you may get a gated property, go with the 36", I find it to be the most versatile. Also, hydro or belt? if you have alot of hills go with hydro, hydros dont run away from you like belts do, also they much easier to handle, mainly because they have reverse.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys... I'm looking seriously at a Gravely Pro H 1536 (Hydro, 15hp Kawsaki, 36" fixed) $3700 new - Good price w/ 2 year commercial warranty?
I'm in St. Louis in a hilly area (Wildwood, Chesterfield, Ellisville, Ballwin, MO.)
Any thoughts on the brand?

I'm in a pretty good spot with this deal right now, I have 8 accounts before having the equipment. My uncle is a Remax agent and is the catylist for this mowing idea. Anyway, I figure that a new mower is probably the way to go under the circumstances?

I really need to find out about liability insurance, equipment insurance, as well as personal health insurance (myself only).
I have a long list of stuff to figure out.
(Local permits & business license, banking, etc..)

Any thoughts are appreciated...
Old 05-12-2005, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Member

DASH,

I am at the same place you are in trying to figure out the lic, ins, to go inc or llc. How much to carry on equip, liability, dot crap that they could stick you on and lastly banking.

I already have all my money to start this up and pay cash for all my equip. I'm looking at ZTR's because of a back problem (hot i got my start up money). About all I have figured out is what equipment I am going to use. I already own the work truck and trailer.

Oh also, have you thought of getting a new computer and writing it off also along with accounting programs and billing?

You know doing this the right way and not an under the table deal is work but sure is much safer.... You can also mail me and perhaps one has found something out the other hasn't. FLYONWALL9@AOL.COM
Old 05-16-2005, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

hey go with exmark there the best i have tried them all and bye far exmarkis the way to go!!!!