Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you get one-timers into full-timers?

Ok here's the deal. im having a hard time getting people to sign up for weekly service. I have done a lot of one-time cuts but then they give me every excuse in the book why they dont want it cut weekly. Its not that i totally
screwed there lawn up. They tell me it looks great and my price was fair. My prices are usually plus or minus $5 of the competition so i dont thinks it is that. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same problem here. Sometimes they haven't had it mowed again six weeks later. Some of them save money by getting a succession of one time high cuts by different lcos each time. We all hope to make them regular customers, but they are pinching the buffalo on the nickel til he squats. Doesn't matter to them that their lawn looks like crap 90% of the time. I remember one like that from last season in a 250K neighborhood. The place looks terrible again; they are probably about ready for the first of five or six cuts for the season.

One guy this year asked for a four week interval. Told him we would have to see how fast it grows. Glad to have charged him real good for the first cut because he got someone else for the second cut.

But sometimes they turn out to be very good all season.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbacon3231
Ok here's the deal. im having a hard time getting people to sign up for weekly service. I have done a lot of one-time cuts but then they give me every excuse in the book why they dont want it cut weekly. Its not that i totally
screwed there lawn up. They tell me it looks great and my price was fair. My prices are usually plus or minus $5 of the competition so i dont thinks it is that. Any help would be appreciated.
I agree with the above! Either start a six cut minimum rule, or something along those lines. Every other week a higher charge of course! I think a lot of people delay as long as possible, have an LCO cut, then the homeowner takes over from there. They are almost out of the heavy growing season (cool grasses), and summer dormancy is just around the corner.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're not charging enough for the one-time cuts.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take one time cuts.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ray
Same problem here. Sometimes they haven't had it mowed again six weeks later. Some of them save money by getting a succession of one time high cuts by different lcos each time. We all hope to make them regular customers, but they are pinching the buffalo on the nickel til he squats. Doesn't matter to them that their lawn looks like crap 90% of the time. I remember one like that from last season in a 250K neighborhood. The place looks terrible again; they are probably about ready for the first of five or six cuts for the season.

One guy this year asked for a four week interval. Told him we would have to see how fast it grows. Glad to have charged him real good for the first cut because he got someone else for the second cut.

But sometimes they turn out to be very good all season.
Jay Ray nice to see a fellow mississippian on here. Hope all goes well for you. PM me if you need anything. Im just north of Hattiesburg
Old 05-11-2005, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

$50 for a one time cut, but if you would like weekly service, we can do it for $35/cut
Old 05-11-2005, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the help guys. its would be tough to turn down a one time cut when im not even close to being fully booked. i guess i will see what the say when the temperature rises.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One time cuts usually take me twice as long and I charge twice as much. I tell them that I will credit them the extra toward weekly or bi-weekly service if they want to sign up.

So far, I've only had one that paid for a one time cut and did not sign up for regular service. That's one more than I want, really, since they make it harder to plan my week.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Lawns
$50 for a one time cut, but if you would like weekly service, we can do it for $35/cut

EXACTLY. We also use that same logic and pricing scale when they ask for EOW also.

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...