Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2001, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a friend who recently contacted me about moss taking over some of his yard. I have not seen it. His yard is partially shaded, and I know it is difficult to grow a good stand of turf in that type of area. He indicated to me that a soil sample has not been taken since his has been there. Suggestions on what thould been done???
Old 02-20-2001, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are chemicals that will kill moss, but unless you can get more sun and better drainage to the lawn, it will come back. Try cutting the lower branches off the trees up to 10' and take a ph test to see if the ph is ok for turf growth. Wouldn't hurt to aerate either!

Scott
Old 02-22-2001, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Moss

Moss is a direct indication of a low ph. I love home owners that bring me in and say I have lots of moss and no grass. If you pour on the lime eventually the yard will correct itself, however ph is slow to change and the moss will persist for a period of time. Aeration, like one person said helps tremendously in speeding up the process of changing soil ph. Aerate, dump on some lime, and give a good shot of a slow release and people will think you are a god.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If drainage is a problem aerating will help a lot. If the soil is good (lots of organic matter and brown color) then adding sand to it will increase air to the roots and help drain water off faster too. Dont add sand to clay though.