Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2005, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Being a woman...

...in my area, I have only seen guys as LCO's. I'm wondering if I will have a tougher time breaking in to the business being a woman. I have the basic knowledge of what I am doing and am one who likes to continually educate myself, plus I have the hubby to back me up. I don't want to necessarily capitalize on the fact that I am a woman owned business, but wondering if I should market myself that way, such as on my brochures or business cards....."Woman owned and operated"...something like that.

Any idea's or comments for me? Thanks!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature
...in my area, I have only seen guys as LCO's. I'm wondering if I will have a tougher time breaking in to the business being a woman. ....
Any idea's or comments for me? Thanks!

Kinda hard to answer with different info. Your Profile says that you have been in this business 20 years already and this says that you are just trying to "break in to the business", that's a HUGE difference.]

So I suspect like many that put that on their Profile that 20 years represents the 20 years that you have been cutting your own grass and not really in business maybe? If so there is a very big difference in cutting your own lawn and being in business cutting others lawns. But to answer question, NO I would not point out that you are a female as I think that would probably make folks less likely to call you thinking that maybe you couldn't do thw work. There are several female LCO's here and none of them point one that fact and they in turn do okay.

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 05-10-2005, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On the other hand though, lots of people think that a woman's touch is needed in many landscaping jobs, and prefer to have a woman involved. remember, most of the houses have a husband and wife, so you would probably have a good shot at appealing to one or the other. I think what you have is a little bonus here, because you can strictly run your business like anyone else, and promote it that way, and on top of that, you can also throw in the additional "woman's touch" to the marketing scheme if you needed to.
i think it's up to you though. it always helps to stand out in the marketplace, something people will remember you by, as opposed to the thousands of other LCO's they see every day.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

MM Lawn--

Basically, the 20 years represents the work experience of being self-employed and yes, some of that is our own yardwork from scratch after building our house. (we were our own general contractors, taking bids, dealing with subs, etc) So, I am not technically a LCO yet, but I wouldn't be making the effort if I didn't think I could cut it (ha). There is alot to learn, of course, as this is a totally different arena. But, I appreciate your comments and input, as I need to see both sides of the viewpoint.

I have amended the experience to 1 year, so as not to look as though I am contridicting myself.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would not be so blunt about it. "Woman owned and operated" sounds, to me, like you think that makes you better or more deserving. It is likely to offend some people, attract some people and be ignored by many.

I'd work your name, picture, personal info into the marketing. Then, the people who are drawn to a female owned operation will know, but the people who are put off by preachy political correctness will be less likely to be bothered.

It's just my opinion, but I think there are a lot of people, mostly white men, who are a little sensitive to these sorts of things. You wouldn't want to read an ad that said "white man owned and operated". Me neither.

I think there are better ways to let people know, that's all.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.

Last edited by pagefault; 05-10-2005 at 09:59 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-10-2005, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, I'm "Pro", support any operation thats sticks out of the norm. I'd run with the fact you are a "Woman", push the attension to detail [ that most woman seem to have], dabble in the areas of perennial installations [ flower beds], definately beats haulin a 5-800lb ball on a tree cart? Bed maintance is also a consideration [ weeding / mulching]...."Good Luck"
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just do It

Like the Nike ad states "Just Do It"......2 women own one of the largest LCO in this town, not sure how many guys they have working for them, they have been around since 1978......so you can do anything you set your mind to!!!Good luck!!
Old 05-10-2005, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

i'm not sure about advertising you are a woman. i think it may help to be a woman, tho. it seems people are more likely to think they are getting a good deal with a woman and are less likely to get ripped off.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

OK.........It's time to spice up this thread.

Why don't you just stay in the kitchen where you belong?

BWADAHADAHADAHADA!!!!!!!!!

For A Great Looking Lawn Year-Round
Old 05-10-2005, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

yea, whatever. Your comment belongs in the off topic forum.