Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-10-2005, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

50 a month for weekly

Wow just talked to my mom. They live in the villages fl (retirement golf course town) and just asked her about her lco. The guy charges her 50 per month and does it every week. For that he keeps beds sprayed as needed, sprinkler heads in shape, mowed. Edged(corner lot about 200 ft of curb) and trimmed. Last time I was there it looked absolutly great too. Fert twwice a year also included. She said takes 3 man crew 15 min.

Man but that's only 10 to 12.50 a cut depending how many weeks!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I was growing up in Seminole (St. Pete) Fla, my friends worked for an LCO and they did whole blocks at a time. They would start at one end of the street and mow to the end, turn around and mow all the way back. I'll bet that LCO does something similar and I bet he does all of them.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My parents were looking there. The yard didn't really look that small. I thought it looked like 1/3 acre at least. Its not like the residents are the little old ladies on SS, they can afford normal rates...

The place sounded kind of creepy, but my parents liked it. I guess I don't get the Florida thing... I'd vote for NC or something a little closer to home.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pro-Scapes

Most Florida cutter cheat themselves and pass the saving on to the customer. Florida has no income tax and so they know 90% of the service providers are doing an underground economy. This of course keeps the old folks retiring in Florida. BTW Florida is also number 51 in education because our older population will not vote in any tax structure to support it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlawn
My parents were looking there. The yard didn't really look that small. I thought it looked like 1/3 acre at least. Its not like the residents are the little old ladies on SS, they can afford normal rates...

The place sounded kind of creepy, but my parents liked it. I guess I don't get the Florida thing... I'd vote for NC or something a little closer to home.
in the 10 times i have visited I have NEVER seen a homeowner doing yard work and now I know why. heck I would pay someone 50 to do my yard weekly just to save me 2 hours a shot lol. I guess if you could eliminate the income tax and drive time from job to job along with having a good system to just blast em out quick it wouldnt be bad. Each village varies in lot size. the houses range from 800 sqft villas to 6000sqft. Mom has about 3500sqft lawn. Still blows my mind why the compete with eachother (the lco's) instead of of getting together and saying hey lets not lowball so bad and all make more money.

its not creepy at all. just bunch of old farts riding golf carts all over. you gotta be 55+ to live there. Nice old town square in spanish springs with drinks and dancing and live music nightly. We always have a blast when we go.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll tell you one worse, a mobile home community on the golf course, the local LCO are only getting $25 per month. I have been asked to bid on them, but there is no way I can get close to that price.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well at least he is not pruning the shrubs for that amount.

But let's look at this for a minute. You say he is getting $50 per month. Don't forget that he will only cut it about 32-34 cuts per year. Then he is paying his help about $2.50 per yard. I would not doubt that at least one is paid cash. He uses the low rate on a cheap fert. With three people working an area and if they know how to do it correctly they can do about 60 or so per day. And if they do that same amount daily then he is cranking about $1,100 per day. So he will make some money just on numbers.

We use to do some areas that were all single family homes. One area was 86 homes plus common ground etc. Cost was $36,000.00 fert was extra. Now we would run 4-5 guys start at 7am finish right around 11:30 and all streets and drives were edged each week. We used (1) JD755 60" ; (2) JDF935 60"; (2) Scag Z 52"; 5 weed eaters and 5BP blowers.

We still had enough time for the crews to crank out one or two smaller condos. We had three of these projects. So I know this guy can make some money.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP350
I'll tell you one worse, a mobile home community on the golf course, the local LCO are only getting $25 per month. I have been asked to bid on them, but there is no way I can get close to that price.

MP350

I am just west of you on the Gulf Coast. A few years ago I got a call from a mobil park $ 40,000 a year in their budget for grass cutting and trim the shrubs in the Common Ground. Of course They wanted it all edged and weedeated. I got there to see 400 trailers and 15 acres of Common ground. Need I say more.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric,
You can thank American Grounds Keeper for that one. He came in here years ago and was doing all the trailer parks for $2.75 per cut that included the common ground. Then some other things happened so will not go into it here. Wife still cuts on small scale but get this his son will not talk to me. Why? He is the County Commissioner for District 2.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Pro-Scapes

Most Florida cutter cheat themselves and pass the saving on to the customer. Florida has no income tax and so they know 90% of the service providers are doing an underground economy. This of course keeps the old folks retiring in Florida. BTW Florida is also number 51 in education because our older population will not vote in any tax structure to support it.
Actually Florida has the right idea about taxing people. Instead of attempting to get people to report their income Florida just gets the money when people spend it. Florida is number 5 in the nation for sales tax collections with over 1 billion collected every year. Also, Utah consistantly ranks 51st in all areas of education money. The lowest ranking that Florida has is 42 in Public School Revenue Per Student. Some other rankings are actually much higher.

Re: http://www.nea.org/edstats/images/04rankings.pdf