Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2005, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

first hardscape job

We just got our first hardscape job..Installed a new lawn and beds and he's giving us the patio assuming the price is right.... Customer wants flagstone patio bordered by pavers. On the outside edge of the patio there will be a planting area and after that will be a free standing wall. It will act as a retaining wall for 1 to 2 feet, then the top 2 to 3 feet will be a double sided decorative wall. I think it's called a "bench wall." Still have to decide on colors, etc. What's the building process for all of this. I've done a small flagstone patio before, but the customer already did the base. We just finished the layout. Is the base the same as for pavers? What's the setting layer if any? Should we hold in the paver border with edging?? What's the base for the wall? Are there mechanical fasteners or adhesives or are the blocks self stacking/locking like retaining walls?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. This job could lead to many others..
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

One more item... There is a three foot drop from the door to the patio. Customer wants a landing (deck) at house floor level. About 3' x 6'. Two sides attached to house. The other two sides will be steps. I can build the deck with no problem. Should the steps rest on the flagstone patio or should the flagstone butt up to the steps?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one question. How did you just get your first hardscape job without knowing how to perform the work? Flagstone bordered by pavers???????
Old 05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm a good salesman. I'm the kind of person who once i see it done I can do it. Obviously, the more I do the better I get. The customer wants flagstone bordered by pavers....one course.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to use manufactured or natural flagstone?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

4 inches CR6, tamp, 2 of stonedust, tamp, lay flag stone, add/remove, dust as needed.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

flag with brick

Go to your block manufacturers website for the correct info for your application

You can use paver edging to hold your soldier courses...the pavers are 2 3/8" thick...different than your flagstone. Add an upcharge for the additional cutting. Outline the walkway with the pavers first, then fill in with the flagstone.

Your steps are independent of the flagstone. Steps on top of the flagstone will not be stable.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2005, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Treedoc, wouldn't it be easier to overlay the flagstone, cut it in place and then install the pavers?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

if the pavers are thicker you would have to dig down the edges to install the pavers.

once the grade is set, then a small amount of base can be added to bring it up to desired height..... i think....LOL

sounds like a lot of complicated grade work.. also i am assuming you can't run a tamp on the flagstone.... how do you set it???
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 05-11-2005, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mbella - for me I want the compaction for the area as hard as possible. A 5' wide finish path I will compact at almost 6' so the pavers are stable...no sand for this type of decorative application, just the stone dust. Spread the next level of stone dust for the flagstone like normal. Wormdrive 7" circular saw and T-seg diamond blades make quick work of the flagstone. Ignore the layout of the edge and make your flag square and perpendicular to the house, just like any other job...cut the flag to fit with tight joints.
YardPro - $10 rubber mallets set the flagstone. Because you have the 2 paver edges at final grade, it's easy to get the flagstone level in reference to the pavers. Doing the pavers last would require a lot more excavation and monkeying around.