Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2005, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Home Cheapo Sprayer needs re-placing

I would like to get a good sprayer for round-up purposes only. It seems like my Home Cheapo (Round Up brand) just won't hold up.
I was also wondering if it is bad for a sprayer if you leave round-up in the tank for extended time periods?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I leave roundup in mine all the time.

Just to beat all the "do you have a license" police...Florida has a round up license for lawn companies that don't spray lawns, just use roundup for hard to deal with places.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that if you are a homeowner and using small amounts, and you have it sitting in there all the time, it is rough on the seals. Try a Solo or Echo brand. I would washout and rinse after every use. If you are an LCO and using it everyday, I would just buy replacements and leave it in the sprayer.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a four gallon solo backpack sprayer with a two spray head boom for about $120. Solo is a good brand and very durable. I looked at Echo but they were more expensive. Echo, I think makes a good product, but the Solo is just as good, thats what we have always used on the farm.

-Geoff
Old 05-12-2005, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lowes sells Sp Systems Best Quality/Value

Searched here [and later posted] for what others feel is the best backpack sprayer to replace my old one.
I heard that SP Systems makes about the best out there, they make the Echo backpack sprayer btw, along with the brand I found at Lowes.
A friend said he got his Solo at Lowes so thats where I went. [I wasn't having any luck locating a SP Systems backpack sprayer in Memphis.]
I didn't find the Solo, but found they were selling a Landscaper's Choice 2, made by SP Systems.

It is a 4-gallon diaphram sprayer. Very good quality. Paid under 80 dollars [US]

{The plunger to the diaphram is stamped SP2.}

Has the chemical resistant material for diaphram and O-rings.

Last edited by captken; 05-12-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have only used the solo packs. they are readily available both plunger and diaphram. never any major problems...if you take care of them you'll get a lot use..
Old 05-12-2005, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have just the opposite experience with them. The only ones I use are from Home Depot. RL Flowmasters in the one and two gallon tanks with the pressure relief valves. I have one with Round Up and one with Weed Be Gone with me at all times. I leave the chemicals in them from year to year and no problems. I even drive past Lowe's, Ace and other stores to get them at Home Depot. Sorry you haven't had the same luck.
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Old 05-13-2005, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hisx may not be the same brand, though. Many times different areas of Home Depot carry different brands. I have NO idea what brand that would be that is from "Roundup". I WILL say, that the RL Fowmasters are an excellent sprayer, though.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the ones sold as roundup and also ortho are from the fontinhead (sp?) group
Old 05-13-2005, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Backpack sprayers from Home Depot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1200a
I have just the opposite experience with them. The only ones I use are from Home Depot. RL Flowmasters in the one and two gallon tanks with the pressure relief valves. I have one with Round Up and one with Weed Be Gone with me at all times. I leave the chemicals in them from year to year and no problems. I even drive past Lowe's, Ace and other stores to get them at Home Depot. Sorry you haven't had the same luck.
I must say that I'd rather have my naughty bits hooked up to a car battery than use ANYTHING from RL Flowmaster. I use Echo and Shindaka and have never had a problem. The RL Flowmaster brand is renowned for falling apart after a few uses. Ask someone at Home Depots returns department. They'll tell you that those sprayers are one of the most common return items. They are great if it's something that you are going to use once then toss, but as far as taking care of your weed-killers or insecticides or fungicides then quality counts.

By the way, Bob Nardelli is the Anti-Christ.

Actually the Anti-Christ is Geo. W. Bush and Bobby is his in-bred older brother.