Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2000, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just about every guy in town that does commercial work uses three wheeled Scags with 61'' decks.I now do almost all residential jobs.But down the road I want to enter the commercial market.My question is would the Ferris IS be as fast or faster?I love the fact that it has Independent Suspension,but at the same time it will not cut as fast as a dixie or lazer.What do you think?Could I cut faster than the guys that use the three wheeled Scags or do I have to pay a little in speed to gain alot of comfort?<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care
Old 05-06-2000, 01:09 PM

Last summer ti was nasty rough around here. The ants were bringing up all sorts of anthills and the turf was clumping which made it worse. Beat hell outa my bod on my Exmark so I tried a Ferris IS. Cut quality was as good as the Exmark, which is about as good as you can get. Ran both machines on the same ground, swapping operators to keep things fair. The IS would consistently run faster than the Exmark! Keep in mind that the limiting factor was operator comfort, you had to run slower with the Exmark to avoid the beating from the bumps. I pretty well know that my next machine will be the Ferris. Incidentally, sidehill performance was outstanding, as good as and maybe better than the Exmark as well. I don't know about comparing to the three wheelers but I think the Ferris would outcut one.
Old 05-06-2000, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alan-Thanks for the reply!I own a walker now and I love it,but if there where any one thing I disliked about it,it would be rider comfort.If you are saying that they can keep up to a lazer due to bumps.Then I have made my mind up.I may not end up buying one.But I shure will demo one!Hey Alan.I have an other question for you.Ferris claims that they make the most reliable machines on the market.How has it been for reliabity?Anyone else think that this machine could cut faster than the Scag 3 wheelers?<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care
Old 05-06-2000, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I`ve run Ferris for over 6 years and the quality and reliability is outstanding. Everyone seems to think that Exmark is the bechmark to judge other machines by WRONG!!<br>I still have and use the first Ferris wb I ever owned and it still cuts and runs as good as any mower I`ve ever used.
Old 05-06-2000, 06:13 PM
jakev

We used to run Ferris a few years back but they ran into company financial problems and cut a lot of dealers throats and parts avalability became scarce. I think a lot of dealers are still paranoid to carry the line and I stick with eXmark because of dealer reliability. If I need a part its there. I would compare eXmark part availability to John Deere.