Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2005, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok see where this is going on the charges now and yes, you goofed. Like mtdman said no contract in hand, you got nothing to stand on. He said, she said. If you get your money out of it I'd be suprized.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdman
Did you knock and confirm before mowing? Obviously if she calls and says she didn't confirm, there is a conflict of opinion there. You should take this as a learning experience. I don't mow anyone unless I get the okay in person to my face. Calling someone and saying I'm going to mow unless you call to say no isn't a confirmation. What if she didn't get the message? I sent out 3 renewal notices to some people this spring whom I never heard back from, yet I still get calls from those people who didn't renew saying they never got the info or forgot to send it in, etc. I didn't renew anyone who didn't sign the renewal and return it.

If someone showed up and just started mowing my lawn without permission, I'd let them finish too then tell them to hit the road.

Bottom line is, your process is flawed, and in court you haven't a leg to stand. It's called cover your ass, and in the future I suggest you do so. As it is now, you might get paid if she decides to pay you, but you don't have any recourse if she doesn't as far as I can see.

She called me and said she would pay....but says she didn't confirm it. She confirmed it when she said OK on the phone and confirmed it when she didn't call me back, or stop me when i was there. then call days later and act like i'm some jackoff idiot and don't know what i heard.

This is the first time my process has "flawed" in 5 years.
7'x18' Custom Open Trailer
7'x12' Big Tex Open Trailer
8.5'x24' King American Enclosed
2006 Grasshopper 928D 61" (4,700 hrs!! )
2011 Grasshopper 930D
2005 JD 737 60"
Snapper 21" Hi-Vac Commercial
Lawnboy 21" Duraforce x2
Shindaiwa: T2500 | T231 | T242 | LE261 | EB630RT | 488 | DH2510 | RS76S
Tanaka: TBC-255PF | TBC-280PF | TPH-270PF
Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
Old 05-14-2005, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's your small-claims court where you live? Here an lco can file in small-claims and the debtor will be issued a summons,which they have to respond to or be cited for contempt. If a judgment is rendered against the debtor, the info will be picked up by the credit bureaus. This is generally much more costly than a measly mowing bill, so most people pay even before going to court.

In your situation, the weak point is whatever proof of your claim you can present to the court. Is there anything in writing? If you have copies of anything you sent, a copy of an estimate, even if not signed by the customer, that can help your case.

When I used small-claims, it always was to get money from a customer that I had a work history with, and I could present a record of work and payment prior to the work I did not get payment for. That was considered sufficient evidence that a verbal contract had existed.

I never had a written contract with a customer. That is quite rare in this area, except for large commercials, and landscaping installs.

You might just have to eat this one.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Hmmm. Not that I condone it, but I bet roundup would make pretty neat crop circles in a lawn. Happens to farmers all the time. Obviously, if she said she would pay and now is not going to pay, she's a user, using you. It's like that tiny little difference from the Bible about bearing false witness and lying. Most people confuse that. Nothing wrong with lying at times--but, bearing false witness, now that's breaking a commandment (if you believe in that stuff). Anyway, users are like those who bear false witness, meaning, they have no regard for their fellow human beings. She sounds like a user.

I have let users and deadbeats enrage me in the past and all it gets you is stressed out, that much closer to the Big One, Elizabeth. As some are saying, we no longer work without a contract and most times we get half up front (not talking about $45 jobs) or enough up front and payments to keep us in the black. We are not in the financing business.
5 gal. pail of elbow grease
Old 05-14-2005, 06:38 AM

I would never put late charges on mowing customers. You just tic them off that way and you will never get paid. Credit card companies can get away with that because they can ruin your credit if you dont pay them
Old 05-14-2005, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLM-1
This is the first time my process has "flawed" in 5 years.
All that means is it's the first time the flaw has come up. If you don't have a confirmation in writing, or in person face to face, you don't have anything to stand on. All she has to do is say she never confirmed it with you, never got your phone call, and wasn't home when you cut. You've got nothing that says otherwise other than your word. If you have a contract with her signature confirming your work, you're good. Otherwise, it's he says she says.