Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2005, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I dunno.

I thought about getting a biz going last year. I am now working as a machinisnt. Its ok money. But, I wonder if I really could make more working for myself.

Bottom line. How much do you guys make? This being after equipment payments, taxes and anything else.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

THis could turn into a long thread. Well it all depends. How great of a saleman you are, how many accounts you land that actaully pay, what your going rate is for your area. There are many vairaibles. Some people will have big operations and some little operations. How big do you plan to be? The responses you'll get will be really broad. It's a tough field so try it out for a bit working for someone else. How much competition is there? Do some research into what hte equipment costs are, and what the going rates are for your area. DO you see lots of guys start up and then disappear? The question is too broad. You may be happier working for yourself but is this even the field you want to be in or does it just look attractive because you dislike your current boss?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont know anything about anything. I just wanna know what guys are making 1 year in and 2 years in. hard numbers is what I am looking for.

Money is what attracts me. Actually, mu current boss is a swell guy. But his personality, his business sense doesnt put more money in my pocket.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What are you guys making-nobody makes the same amount i do this because i love my work not for the money every morning i am up and don't dread my job.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

i make like $500 a day Thats 20- 25 lawns per day though
Old 05-14-2005, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$100.00

$100.00 a day....not everyday...I just started.....if its quick $$ your looking for, don't quit your day job!!
Old 05-14-2005, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most guys don't make it in this business.

There is simply no way for us to give you an idea of what you can expect in the first year or two. The whole thing depends on you.

Some guys are barely getting by and others are thriving - and that is in the exact same market.

According to the statistics, you probably won't make it. But, on the other hand, I know someone who nets over 400K per year after only 7 years in the business. Like I said, it depends on you. Are you "big enough" inside, do you have the character to handle it? That is where the difference is.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 05-14-2005, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatherd
I thought about getting a biz going last year. I am now working as a machinisnt. Its ok money. But, I wonder if I really could make more working for myself.

Bottom line. How much do you guys make? This being after equipment payments, taxes and anything else.
what kind of machinst are you? you mean your a machine operator right?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you keep track of your mileage to and from lawns, and the miles to go buy stuff for your business, the miles will shock you and so will the fuel cost. That's with a small truck and 5 x 10 trailer.

If you keep track of off-road fuel for mowers, it will shock you.

If you keep track of mixed fuel for trimmers, it is more than you would think.

Pre-wraps, air filters, oil filters, belts, lots of grease, spark plugs, oil, and it is all much more than you would think. No expensive hydraulic repairs or fluid for me as I'm using belt wb's.

Blade sharpening costs, or your time and a grinder to sharpen your own is much more than you would guess. And with dull blades you have to slow down mowing speed to even approach a decent looking cut. Plus you need an impact wrench to get them off and a click torque wrench and anti-seize to put them on. And a portable air compressor too. I tried to get by without a portable but the hassle factor was too much. When you need air you need it now.

Trimmer racks, tool racks, blower rack, safety reflectors, special tools, green hand tools, tie-down straps, side-bagger, trimmer line, Round-up, Rescue, pump jugs, backpack jug, tool boxes. A thousand things you can't think of or remember but need to operate efficiently.

Advertising and Insurance, cell phone bill, green books (yes books, because the customers will have lots of questions and you will too).

Got my taxes in just under the wire in April and was shocked at how high my overhead is, and I'm so small I'm not even a blip on the radar screen. Plus now I need to buy a large fire safe to keep all the records for possible audits.

The only way I can see to reduce overhead is to tighten the route, but that will take some years. Now I take anyone who wants service within 20 miles. Cannot afford to be choosy.

Can't wait to start earning blue collar rates. Hope it is soon.

Go for it if you are sure, but it will not be as easy as people think it is, and your customers will think that you only work when you are doing lawns.

If you don't go legit, you probably won't keep up with your costs, and you'll have no idea what you are really making.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah, im just an operator. We do prototype parts for the big 3 and others.

I still have yet to get bottom line numbers from anyone. I'm looking for take home $$$ after all expenses. I know everyone makes different income. But if I get an 5 numbers I can get an average.

Why is this info such a secret?