Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2005, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wet Ball field=Dry it with GAS!!!

I have been in the lawn care biz for 10 years and the fire dept for 20, yesterday was a first for me. The FD secretary gets a phone call from the local college baseball coach stating that he has a big baseball tournament on Saturday and his field is wet. He goes on to tell her that he is calling because he will be using GASOLINE to dry the field and he wants us to know in case someone else calls.
SAY WHAT????
Since we were out of the station we were informed and I got to take the engine over to the field and see what was going on. As we are pulling up I see 4 college baseball players making a mad dash toward a shed with 4 plastic gas cans in hand. I just shook my head and walked up to the fence and was met by a sheepish head coach. He told me that he used the gas to try and get rid of the water on the baseline but it didn't work too well so they won't be doing it anymore. I was glad to hear that and told him so. We left and our Asst Chief of Prevention also got wind of the episode and went over and talked with them a bit. I wasn't a ball buster with the guy and he knew that he wasn't doing a good thing.

So any of you guys use gas to dry out the lawns? At 2.25 a gallon I find it to be a much better deal than sand and a 20 member college ball club with shovels and rakes. Besides that a 6 month stay in the burn center can do wonders for your complection. You would think that someone with a college education should know better but I know for sure that common sence is not something that you can learn but he sure got a Masters of Stupidity.
I know someone is gonna tell me that they have done this in the past but I am hoping not. Stay safe. Play ball.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

GAS??? hahaha

that would just kill the grass lol

# 8
Old 05-14-2005, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

don't be worried about cutting the ball field's grass this season b/c its dead.....LMAO!!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOW ED
I know someone is gonna tell me that they have done this in the past but I am hoping not.
My money is on Fairyway. By the way, I didn't know he had a brother who was a baseball coach.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure the EPA would love this one. What a dork. What did he think he was going to do, burn off the water? Geeeez....what happened to common sense?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still trying to figure out how the gas would dry things out??? Was he trying to set fire to the sand and burn off the water ???
Old 05-14-2005, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Please describe the procedure used to attempt to dry the field.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Im thinking they need a good back pack blower along with some rakes to help get rid of the water

Old 05-15-2005, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

All they need to do is open the infield up for a few hours using a Harold (sp) or tiller. If it is sunny and windy it can dry out very fast and then drag smooth again.

I had to do this every time it rained back when my father owned a softball complex. We had the least amount of rain-outs (only time we got rained out if it didn't stop raining, but give me 4 hours of no rain before game time and I will make it playable) compared to all other leagues back then. Plus this method keeps the ground soft unlike adding a product like diamond dry which will create a concrete hard playing surface (we would never use such a product).

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:17 AM
Banned

ROLMFAO.O man what a ******.Useing gas to dry out a ballfield.Thats a new one on me.I always just used a tiller and when it dryed out Id use my tractor to smooth it out.I tell you what,after i was done it looked like a new field.