Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2005, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

scag won't run on it's own

I have a turf tiger with a 27 Kawasaki. Mower starts when I put fuel in the carb but wont start other wise. I've checked the fuel pump and its pumping fuel to the carb. Is there some kind of safety sensor that prevents fuel from getting to the carburetor or maybe the floats are just sticking . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherebluegrassgrows
I have a turf tiger with a 27 Kawasaki. Mower starts when I put fuel in the carb but wont start other wise. I've checked the fuel pump and its pumping fuel to the carb. Is there some kind of safety sensor that prevents fuel from getting to the carburetor or maybe the floats are just sticking . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The way I'm reading your post I'm taking that the engine stays running after you put fuel in the carb. If so check your choke cable and make sure you are getting full choke. Kawasakis are hard to start unless fully choked.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

What I did was filled a rag with gas and held it over the carb the motor ran and throttled both up and down until the gas was sucked out of the rag. The motor runs and I ran it til it got warm its just not sucking gas from the line and I wondered if there is some kind of shut off at the carb thats not letting fuel get to it. I'm not really familiar with the scag mowers and of coarse theres no trouble shooting guide in the manual.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherebluegrassgrows
What I did was filled a rag with gas and held it over the carb the motor ran and throttled both up and down until the gas was sucked out of the rag. The motor runs and I ran it til it got warm its just not sucking gas from the line and I wondered if there is some kind of shut off at the carb thats not letting fuel get to it. I'm not really familiar with the scag mowers and of coarse theres no trouble shooting guide in the manual.

There are three different engines listed for your unit. If you have the 1 barrel there is a fuel cut-off solenoid toward the bottom,Check and see if it clicks when the ign. switch is turned on if not check for voltage input if it does open the bowl drain and check for water. If you have the 2 barrel open that drain and check for water if none there could be trash in the main jets which means disassemble carb. and clean.
If this doesn't help you please post model and spec. numbers that will help.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Rob I guess I'll be cleaning the carburetor.
Thanks again
Josh