Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2005, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Member

how long with a z-turn?

Ive just started in the lawn care business this yearm and things are going well for now. Not too much work,but enough to keep me and the customers happy.

Im running a 36" and a 48" wb, I do a couple a of 1 acre lots which takes me about 1hr-1hr 15m, with trimming , cutting, and blowing. A few trees, some mulch beds, couple of minor hills. The one lot has several steep hills and more obstacles, takes about 1hr 45m from start to finish.

MY plan was to run these two mowers this year, build some equity up and buy a zero turn next year. Im wondering now, how much time I will save if I purchased one now.

How much lawn can one cut in a given time with a Z-Turn vs a WB. BTW, I use a sulky on my mowers but still have to walk certain areas of each property.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You will finish in less time than your 48 and 36 together, by far. I ran a 60" rider and a 52" wb for quite awhile before getting my Lazer. It outdoes both of them, rather easily. It's just a whole different calibur in cutting power.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

depending on the size of your yards if its mostly residentiial I would stick with a 52 or a 48., I had severl commercial properties and my Lazer 52 did just fine.

your productivity will increase as the mowes can cut faster and better, but also you won't be as physicaly tired as the day progresses.

On campus we used to have a 72" toro groundmaster and I sold it and baught a 52" Scag Wild Cat Even with the smaller deck it mowed circles around the toro....The Z's are just a very highly productive machine....
Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Z's are much faster, I used to use a 60" z on small residential properties (8000-15000 sq ft) and you get done so much faster, probably 12-15mins for a 15,000 sq ft lawn with someone else trimming, in most cases i'd be done mowing before the other guy would be done trimming.

I plan on getting a 52" z sometime this year, if someone comes out with a good promotion and I like the mower.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some figures from a manufacturer. Of course they are figures for optimum cutting conditions, flat out mowing on even ground, etc. but here they are.

36" WB = 1.2 acre per hour
48" WB = 1.9 acre per hour
48" ZTR = 2.6 acre per hour
52" ZTR = 2.9 acre per hour
61" ZTR = 3.4 acre per hour
72" ZTR = 4 acre per hour.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here, I go by this chart, but as it says, use the 80% numbers as the 100% are way too optimistic.

http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/Productivity.pdf
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Old 05-17-2005, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1200a
Here, I go by this chart, but as it says, use the 80% numbers as the 100% are way too optimistic.
Thanks for adding this chart here. It has much more information than the one I have!
Old 05-24-2005, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadHawk
Ive just started in the lawn care business this yearm and things are going well for now. Not too much work,but enough to keep me and the customers happy.

Im running a 36" and a 48" wb, I do a couple a of 1 acre lots which takes me about 1hr-1hr 15m, with trimming , cutting, and blowing. A few trees, some mulch beds, couple of minor hills. The one lot has several steep hills and more obstacles, takes about 1hr 45m from start to finish.

MY plan was to run these two mowers this year, build some equity up and buy a zero turn next year. Im wondering now, how much time I will save if I purchased one now.

How much lawn can one cut in a given time with a Z-Turn vs a WB. BTW, I use a sulky on my mowers but still have to walk certain areas of each property.
With that amout of work I wouldn't even think of buying a new Z. Maybe look for an older Scag 3-wheeler, they can be had for much cheaper now, and you can do ALMOST as much work as a Z with a 61" deck.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.