Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2005, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

New, and unpriced HELP

I'm new to the lawn stuff. I'm a young adult, (middle school or so) and I'm trying to get a summer job. Just to get a few extra bucks in my pocket.
Anyway, all i wanna do is some yards in my own neighborhood. The yards are fairly sized (small almost) and I dont know how much, and how to charge (eg hourly or by yard). Just a few customers, and im working alone>

Also, I've got an ol lawnmower, works pretty good. Would it be good enough to mow lawns with?

ANY help, would be appreciated
Old 05-16-2005, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi funkey, welcome to the site. I'd say you need to do a search and learn a little bit about the industry, you can't go wrong with more knowledge. About your question... the only way to figure out what to charge is knowing your costs. How much does it cost you to operate your lawnmower per hour? Don't forget the gas, oil changes, blades etc that need to be maintained. After you know your costs of the equipment per hour then you can figure out what to charge based on what you want to make. If you want to make $10 an hour then charge whatever your costs are plus $10 for an hour lawn.

Good luck with your venture, remember to respect the other LCO's in your area, dont try to steal their accounts!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Cameron
Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkey
I'm new to the lawn stuff. I'm a young adult, (middle school or so) and I'm trying to get a summer job. Just to get a few extra bucks in my pocket.
Anyway, all i wanna do is some yards in my own neighborhood. The yards are fairly sized (small almost) and I dont know how much, and how to charge (eg hourly or by yard). Just a few customers, and im working alone>

Also, I've got an ol lawnmower, works pretty good. Would it be good enough to mow lawns with?

ANY help, would be appreciated
What kind of mower is it? Let me guess, a Redhawk?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello & Welcome, since you are a new bizness person, with low overhead try working for the older neighbors. if your properties are up to 3000sqft $15 is nice, 5000sqft $20 is good? A young fellow cuts my moms front yard and driveway for $10 per week[ about 2000sqft] he also charges $70 bucks in the fall to clean-up, spot seed ,peat, & lime. He bags all the debris and puts it on the curb......"Good Luck"
Old 05-16-2005, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
what kind of mower is it? Let me guess, a Redhawk?
no, its actually a Stanley push behind (i dont know what a redhawk is)
Old 05-16-2005, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
Hello & Welcome, since you are a new bizness person, with low overhead try working for the older neighbors. if your properties are up to 3000sqft $15 is nice, 5000sqft $20 is good? A young fellow cuts my moms front yard and driveway for $10 per week[ about 2000sqft] he also charges $70 bucks in the fall to clean-up, spot seed ,peat, & lime. He bags all the debris and puts it on the curb......"Good Luck"
I'm not to great with area. Umm, this may sound ignorant, but how big is 3,000<sup>2</sup> ft. look like
Old 05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey funkey, seen this posted down south, hope it helps, lol
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkey
I'm not to great with area. Umm, this may sound ignorant, but how big is 3,000<sup>2</sup> ft. look like
60 ft X 50 ft would be 3,000 sqft (for example)
Old 05-17-2005, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have your parents and some of their friends call around for estimates. Then, charge something close to what everyone else is charging. If the yard is bigger, charge a little more and if it is smaller, charge a little less.

Yeah, you need to know your expenses, but you can only charge what people are willing to pay and the way to figure that out is to see what the bigger companies are charging. You may have to charge a little less, but don't go so low that you're busting your butt all day for $5. I doubt your expenses will be an issue, but it is a good exercise to figure them out.

Keep the mower tuned up and the blades sharp and I expect you'll be fine. If you're working alone, with a push mower, you're probably only looking to handle a relative handful of yards. It might be easier to get a friend to work with you, especially since you will probably be hauling all of this stuff around on foot. Otherwise, try to get your parents to drive you.

Get a decent homeowner trimmer and a broom to sweep the clippings off the driveway and the sidewalk. Get a first aid kit, eye protection, ear protection and a LARGE INSULATED water jug. If you get really busy, get an edger and a blower, but I wouldn't start out with those. You want to buy those when you earn enough from the business and when you feel like you need them.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.