Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2000, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

has anyone actually turned the &quot;old man&quot; or &quot;kid around the corner&quot; in to the tax police.... i got this one guy, about 35-40 that took $5500 worth of accounts away from us last year. i still talk to the customers and they still say i did a great job and tell me to stop by and say hi, yada yada...but why did they switch to this other guy?? i get well, ya know, and something about price or costs in their and they switch the subject. Grrrrrrrrrr<br>He's gone to other customers too and tried to sway them his way, but they didnt go for it, these are the very loyal customers. the others were loyal too, but sometimes the bottom line, $$, can have a big affect, exspecially on big accounts.... <br>what should be done about this? if he pulls any more of this, i think it will be ball busting time. <br> and the 5,500 is more like 7,000 now that i think about it, it was 4 big accounts. this is the part i hate about this business, i had to work my ass off last summer doing odd stuff to make up some of the loss..<br>ok, i'm done complaining now.<p>
Old 05-05-2000, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

turn him in. Why should you and i have to pay taxes and insurance when some of these hacks don't? I wish I could get away with not paying taxes and insurance but then I couldn't sleep at night. Sleep is a good thing.
Old 05-05-2000, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A girlfriend of mine was getting divorced from a scumbag. He was removed from her home after a standoff with police. Anyhow she had all his tax records and noticed many falsifications. She called the IRS, with proof in hand...they didnt care.<p>The amount he should have owed should have been $6000 additional.<p>This great country sometimes is a little odd.
Old 05-05-2000, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea. Equipment prices way up, service prices way down. My pay for the landscaping sectors are still great. &quot;Lowballers&quot; cna't/won't do that stuff.
Old 05-05-2000, 12:37 PM

I'm trying to cut back on how much mowing I do. Hydroseeding and walls are a lot more profitable and not everyone can get into that with no down payment and no payments until October. I want to keep the accounts that are yearly contracts so I can keep the plowing, and some of my older customers are both loyal and a pleasure to deal with. I'm not going to cut my prices, in some cases I actually should raise them. No point in trying to compete with the newbies, there is a fresh crop every year. Those that survive get smart and realize that the prevailing rates are what they need to charge as well.
Old 05-05-2000, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

so how do you turn these people in?
Old 05-05-2000, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Say guys I'm starting to worry about even trying to make my business work after reading all these comments. I haven't seen many cars with mowers in trunk in OKC but I'm sure there are. I know that there are some undercutters out there and I've seen some of there jobs. I always thought that people hated mowing there lawns, so why not pay good $ to have it done, right. But now I feel different. Actually I'm scared to start the business now. What do you guys think? If I print up 500 business cards, take a add out in the local high school gazett, and maybe a add somewhere else, besides hitting my neiborhood that I will get enough business to say why the heck didn't I do this earlier. Or will I only be the % that just gets by like I do right now in my reg. job. Please help, Chad
Old 05-05-2000, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

start out part time, drum up some business. it takes time to build a lawn care business. <br>the guy i am talking about is driving around in a 99 f250 diesel 4x4, two new mowers, a dump trailer, yada yada. doesnt collect sales tax, pay ins, taxes, ect. then he comes in and under-cuts. but thats life.<p>
Old 05-05-2000, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Too much competitition? Turning people into the gestapo I.R.S.? Man you guys would have been a hoot in Nazi Germany. And you think lo w-balling is under-handed? I hear this every year: &quot;so and so cuts for 5 bucks cheaper than you&quot; WHO CARES?? I don`t debate price and what other cutters are doing means zip.<br>I`ve been in this business for 15 years and have seen many lawn companies come and go and every year by June I`m turning away new customers. If your business isnt what you want it to be it one guys fault:YOU!<p>----------<br>gus....<br>
Old 05-05-2000, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gus, I understand that I am responsible for the success of my business but if someone comes in and steals one of my high margin accounts I'm gonna be pissed. And if I see him out there only on Saturdays with a Crapsman rider then I will guess that he is a non tax paying part timer. I WILL contact the property owner and tell them that if they plan on reporting the lawn care expense then they are gonna slam JO BOB who isn't gonna report a damn nickel. Also if JO BOB runs over their prize Japanese Maple and doesn't have $600 to replace it that Nationwide will not be on their side because he isn't paying for insurance and that is why he can charge far less than I can. I have more than enough work to keep me busy but I always do a top notch job just so a part timer knows to stay away. Even if they got the job they can't dedicate the amount of time nor do they have the resources to maintain a property as well as I do. As others have said, offer the aerating, fertilizing, weed control so you can be the customers one stop shop. Oh yeah and maintain a professional image and you should keep the high margin accounts. By the way the e-mailing property managers idea sounds like a winner. I plan on trying that so I can replace some of my lower profit residentials.