Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2005, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using a Trimmer like an Edger.

OK, so how do you all use a string trimmer so it leaves a nice crisp edge like an edger. Thank you.
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1200a
OK, so how do you all use a string trimmer so it leaves a nice crisp edge like an edger. Thank you.
By using an edger for edging. Or, get REALLY good with a line trimmer. Practice Practice Practice It takes time to learn. An edger is faster and leaves a tighter edge, it will set you apart from the others.
7'x18' Custom Open Trailer
7'x12' Big Tex Open Trailer
8.5'x24' King American Enclosed
2006 Grasshopper 928D 61" (4,700 hrs!! )
2011 Grasshopper 930D
2005 JD 737 60"
Snapper 21" Hi-Vac Commercial
Lawnboy 21" Duraforce x2
Shindaiwa: T2500 | T231 | T242 | LE261 | EB630RT | 488 | DH2510 | RS76S
Tanaka: TBC-255PF | TBC-280PF | TPH-270PF
Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
Old 05-17-2005, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

man this topic has been beat to death the last week or two on here...

Flip it upside down, run your throttle about 1/2 to 3/4 and learn to walk a straight line over all kinds of uneven terrain and hold the head straight and true in a 40 mph wind. Much harder than you think... Every trimmer is a little different, you just have to turn it just the right war and angle it just so to get it perfect. Once you get good at it you can do it forwards and backwards as fast as you can walk.

Some time I need to snap a pic of my edges here at my house. If you people can tell me that your stick edger could do a better job, I'd love to see it. I'll even let you mow my lawn if you win!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

There is no way your way of edgeing will be more crisp than a stick edger. On the other hand if that is the way you want to do it thats fine. As long as you are happy and your customers are happy that is all that matters.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=PLM-1]An edger is faster and leaves a tighter edge

Ok, I just had a thought... Hard to believe, I know.. But when edging with a blade edger you follow the concrete edge, but when you use a trimmer your instinct is to follow the grass. eventually the grass gets worn back and after several years there's a gap opening up between the concrete edge and the grass edge. What makes a person good with the trimmer edging is to always remmeber to follow the concrete edge as close as possible. even if you aren't taking off much grass at all. The tighter the grass is to the concrete with just a thin line of soil, about a blade width, is the most attractive edge. Wide strips of dirt along the sidewalk are just invitations for weeds and mud slides when it rains.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed that the grass trimmed with a string trimmer (anywhere, not just edging) can look really beat up and torn, compared to grass cut with a sharp blade. While I'm not going to dispute whether someone is able to hold a trimmer the right way to use it as an edger, I just don't think it cuts as well. Otherwise, wouldn't we all be using those string mowers?
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
I've noticed that the grass trimmed with a string trimmer (anywhere, not just edging) can look really beat up and torn, compared to grass cut with a sharp blade. While I'm not going to dispute whether someone is able to hold a trimmer the right way to use it as an edger, I just don't think it cuts as well. Otherwise, wouldn't we all be using those string mowers?
They have bladed trimmer heads, nobody uses those. Of course if you accidently hit your foot, your toes won't be happy.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

do a search on here for "edgit" and go to www.edgit.com

I have an edgit edging and gtrimming guide on both my trimmers. It won't cut an overgrown edge like a blade but it's great for maintaining edges.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1200a
OK, so how do you all use a string trimmer so it leaves a nice crisp edge like an edger?
You edge with an edger first, then maintain the edge with a trimmer. It's especially easy if you put an Edgit on your trimmer as PaulJ said.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'll put my trimmer edges up against any steel edge. What a trimmer can do is cut on more than one plane which is benificial when grass heights change in relationship to concrete. What trimmer edges don't do is take chips out of the concrete.