Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2005, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Oil level and draining amount.

Here is a question . I Bought a new Gravely ZT1540 with a Kohler Courage engine . It was supposed to be a 15 hp (cover says 15) but the numbers say,and it was confirmed by Ariens, to be a 17 hp.
When I got it home the level was overfull on the stick by about 1/4 inch.
I drain out about a cup but I did not measure it. I then ran it for about 1 hour and while it was hot I drained the engine . I tipped it in different ways over a period of a few hours and emptied out the filter and could only get 31 oz. of oil out of it. The book says it should hold 1.6 quarts including the filter.
I then filled the filter and poured in the rest of 1 quart in .The level then read full . I now felt the stick was wrong so I put in 1/2 more quart. The level then reads about 1/2 inch above the full level after running it for about 15 seconds.
This is where it is now. I have not run it for fear of being over full but do not know if I should drain some out down to the full level .
The kohler tech at first said to put it at the full level but then said to order a new dipstick just to be safe. He said some oil might be trapped by the valves but not 1/2 qt.
So , is it normal to think that very close to 1.6qts should drain out or what?
Thanks.
Tom
Old 05-17-2005, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 1.6 qt fill is how much it takes to fill a new off the assembly line engine.
You will never get this much oil out in a oil change,There are too many cavities and oil passages Ect. to trap oil. Also when checking oil do not screw dipstick down all the way just set it on top. This may be why you are reading over full. Always go by line on stick not by ounce's.
Don't worrie about dipstick replacement either.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Rob,
The stick is a push in type with 2 "O" rings on it for sealing . There is about 1/2 in diference between setting it on top and pushing it down. This is the same difference that I am reading on the level. So if I just set it on top now it reads full.
Tom