Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2005, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Question

Hi,
I was wondering what all of you would do if you were in my situation. I'm only 16 years old but I do a lot of residential accounts, all of which are mowing contracts. I currently own a 21" Mower, and I just bought the striping attachment. My question to all of you is: Would you ask the customer if they want the stripes or does the stripes please most of your customers?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I stripe lawns because usually it is the most organized, easiest and fastest way to cut, and the stripes just come along with it.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape89
Hi,
I was wondering what all of you would do if you were in my situation. I'm only 16 years old but I do a lot of residential accounts, all of which are mowing contracts. I currently own a 21" Mower, and I just bought the striping attachment. My question to all of you is: Would you ask the customer if they want the stripes or does the stripes please most of your customers?

Thanks
I dont believe that your customers will mind the stripes, but rather prefer it. If you want to run it by them, no harm done, but 99% will be appreciative.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proenterprises
I dont believe that your customers will mind the stripes, but rather prefer it. If you want to run it by them, no harm done, but 99% will be appreciative.
I too strip every yard even if they dont ask. I had one customer ask me if I could use another mower because I was "smashing the grass one way then the other" . I told her that It was healthy for the grass to flex back and forth and she told me "ok then keep doing it."
Old 05-17-2005, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Out of our customer base we probably have at least 20 customers complain about tracks in the yard at some point during the year. Normally it is new customer. So if I put a device on that knocks down the entire yard I would guess I would hear from a lot more. And by the way St Augustine grass can't pull it self back up when it gets HOT and dry and it WILL kill the grass. That causes us to weed eat areas in hot sun on yards that don't have irrigation. Does stipping take less time than without stripping?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Good commercial mowers will stripe without a stupid kit. Striping kits make the lawn look unnatural and are not good for it. Any stress on a lawn hurts it period. Get rid of your 21" mower and stripe kit.

The only place a stripe kit is needed and looks good, is to make patterns and such on MLB ballparks.