Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2005, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How far behind are you?

I'm curious, how far behind are you? This is my second full year on my own and I am uncomfortable calling a customer and explaining that I am behind. Right now, I am a few days behind. If we are going to start a job later than anticipated, I call the customer and explain, but I hate it. However, I have learned that it is inevitable.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do it now.

Do not put it off.

The sooner you call and be honest, the better off you'll look in the customers eyes.

Customers have to be told that we are in an extremely weather dependent business. Sometimes we get behind due to bad weather.

If you don't call and don't show you look like an idiot. Calling shows concern and interest in the job.

What are you waiting for?

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 05-17-2005, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Mike,
Iíve never had a problem with a customer when I tell them Iím a little behind, I just try to make sure it wont affect them in any way such as an upcoming event at their house. I know itís not the greatest thing to call and tell them but most understand that itís hard to always stay on schedule when your working around weather and so on. I guess it would depend on the person though, some people are just looking to be upset over anything.

Bill
Old 05-18-2005, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

We issue an approximate start date & approximate length of time in our contracts for all jobs. Somethings we get held up on are vendors or weather or a guy calling in sick etc... Currently, we are "off schedule" about 3 days where I ideally want to be. We were supposed to start a good sized job Monday but will have to start Weds afternoon. Nature of the beast this time of year.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike ..I don't think a few days is anything to worry about ... just try to never over promise. I would much rather tell a customer a later start date and then phone them and ask if we could start earlier.

Just a note on our contracts .... the start date has a leeway of 30 days either way.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm behind because the damn versa-lok plant (Binkley) is behind in production.

Creative Hardscapes
Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious......how do you guys explain to all your cutomers your whole schedule pushed back? I think the best way to bump a schedule is too bump one customer. If I am supposed to be at Mrs. So and So's and it rains that day, she gets pushed out to the end and I still start Mrs. Do Do's on the day I was supposed too. I have learned that it is easier to make ONE call to one customer to explain. Also, I think it is hard trying to explain to customers that it rained two weeks ago and you are still behind, the way I do it, only one person needs explaining, and 10 times out of 10 they understand that it rained on that day you were supposed to be there and that is the way it is. Just my 2 cents.

Dan
Old 05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Drafto, I don't do it the way you do it. Right now, my hardscape crew is booked into August. I wont bump somebody from May to August. I inform the customer of the start date. I also inform them that inclement weather or delays between the time they sign and the date of construction will result in a delay in the start of construction. I love the people that think that rain only effects them AFTER you begin their project. I think I handle it fine. I just get uncomfortable making that phone call.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
Mike ..I don't think a few days is anything to worry about ... just try to never over promise. I would much rather tell a customer a later start date and then phone them and ask if we could start earlier.

Just a note on our contracts .... the start date has a leeway of 30 days either way.
I completely agree. I did that this year. I saved a one week window. However, that window closed and we are behind.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drafto, I don't do it the way you do it. Right now, my hardscape crew is booked into August. I wont bump somebody from May to August. I inform the customer of the start date. I also inform them that inclement weather or delays between the time they sign and the date of construction will result in a delay in the start of construction. I love the people that think that rain only effects them AFTER you begin their project. I think I handle it fine. I just get uncomfortable making that phone call.

Mbella - I wasn't critisizing the way you or anyone else does it, I didnt' mean to come off that way. The way I should have stated it is "what works best for me". I also dread the phone calls, maybe thats why I got it down to making only one.

Drafto