Go Back   LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 05-18-2005, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Which grinding wheel for a replacment?

I have a Mag 9000 and it has been outstanding. I am getting to the point where I think I may need a replacment wheel. Which wheel came on the unit, and would there be any benifit in changing to another wheel hardness? A lesson on the different wheels you offer would be great.

Thanks
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Sponsor

Hello,

The wheel that came on your machine was an "I" hardness, it is the softest wheel we currently carry. The hardness of a wheel will change the performance of the grinder.

A very general comparison is:

Soft wheel = fast sharpening & shorter wheel life
Hard wheel = slow sharpening & longer wheel life.

As you make the wheel harder, it breaks down more slowly, retaining heat, and cutting slower. A harder wheel will burn the blade more easily because it can glaze over with steel. This is the problem with bench grinders and angle grinders.

The "I" is hands down the fastest wheel we carry at the moment, but the "J" offers good performance with better life.

The choice of wheel is the choice between: labor time to wheel life. In other words would you rather get the job done faster (less labor time) or have longer wheel life.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp