Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2005, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Rotary Spreader Opinions?

Are the axle bearings on the Lesco replaceable? The parts diagram shows them built in to the frame assembly. Does the Lesco have metal gears? Does either the Spyker 70 or 90 series have a metal control rod or is it a cable?

As for durability, which one should I opt for? All help is appreciated.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have always used the Stainless steel framed Lesco units.... and in the winter time I use them to spread calicum as well....I'll get several years before I have to start worring about gears and such...
Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

hey MarcSmith, are those axle bearings on your Lesco replaceable or built into the frame assembly?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take a look on the bearings....but the gears are plastic, but they are encased in a housing to keep the crud off of them...Even if they dont have a part number for the bearings, they are proably pressed into the frame and thus removable. But I have never had any bearing problems with mine...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure they are replaceable, they are greaseable plastic (probably Teflon) bushings. If you keep em' greased, I doubt they'll need replacing before they rest of it is worn out as well.

Hope I helped.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have two lesco stainless steel spreaders. Both are 12 years old or more. I do 20-30 lawns a day April to November. I never replaced the wheel bushings. They are teflon. Just grease them a couple times a year. I use to replace the gears every couple years. I swithched to the enclosed housing 4-6 years ago and have not had to replace one. The lesco spreader is light weight yet very durable. I looked at the Spyker spreaders. They appear durable but are heavy.i
Old 05-21-2005, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, no need to replace the bearings, but they can be punched out and replaced if the spreader has fallen from the truck or something and was damaged. The enclosed gear set is superior by far to the old open gear style. You'll likely wear out the handles and slides long before the rest with daily use.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

OK Ya'll, I'm convinced that I should not any bearing troubles too soon, but what about all I've read about the Lesco throwing too far the right? Do the newer ones have this problem and if so can this be adjusted?
Old 05-22-2005, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the standard slide guard placement is on the right and the close off slider is designed to block the last hole feeding the right side as it comes around, so I do not know where you are getting that information from. The lescos, old and new, have a three hole drop that puts product in different spots of the impellor as it spins giving one of the most accurate throw arcs I've seen. Far and away superior to single throat spreaders. Adjustments on this spreader are related to the openings for flow rates. AS with anything, follow a ten percent overlap rule and watch the edges of your throw and these spreaders will never leave you striping nor misapplicating due to throw.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried the Gleason spreder from Home Depot? Who makes it and is it rebuildable?