Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2005, 04:33 PM

New Forum - Seal Coating

This is a service a lot of people in the industry offer as an add-on service. Makes sense...a lot of clients have drive ways and parking areas and when the regular work is slow this is a good service to offer. here is where you can discuss the ins and outs of seal coating.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Edited.................

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Sealcoating Great Add on Service -- So true Sean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams
This is a service a lot of people in the industry offer as an add-on service. Makes sense...a lot of clients have drive ways and parking areas and when the regular work is slow this is a good service to offer. here is where you can discuss the ins and outs of seal coating.
Hello Sean,

It's so true! Seal-coating is a great add on service especially when you already have a list of existing clients for your landscaping or gardening business.

Many Seal-coating contractors use squeegees or rollers to seal-coat driveways. Seal-coating contractors who are wanting to get jobs done in a more timely fashion tend to use seal coating spray equipment. Spraying systems simply save you time and tends to look better because of an even coat. Imagine painting a car with a roller instead of a spray gun The spray gun does a much better job.

Asphalt is a petroleum based product. It is very flexible when it is first laid -- like a dense liquid. As time passes, the petroleum based products (Tar & Bitumen) get oxidized and Dry out by the sun. The asphalt becomes brittle when the surface color turns Grey. It now has lost its flexibility and is going to Crack when the ground shifts - especially in the northern climates. Cracks then lead to Spider cracks looking like alligator skin. Cracks then lead to Holes and deteriorated areas. Then leading to asphalt replacement... and this is why it is so important to seal asphalt. Protect it from the elements (Sun, rain, ice, snow, etc.)

Sealing a driveway also increases the aesthetic value of the property and makes the property colors stand out more.

If you have any questions regarding seal-coating I would be more than happy to help out. I have been in the business for over 10 years and have 18 trucks on the road at present fully rigged with seal-coating systems and hot asphalt boxes.

GREAT FORUM SEAN! Way to go.

Judd Burdon
Asphalt Sealcoating Expert

Last edited by juddburdon; 04-14-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Time to seal coat?

How long should you wait to seal coat after laying new asphalt? I like the smooth dark look that the seal coat provides.

Thank You!!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Test;Go spray some water on your new drive. If the water beads up, it is too soon. You should wait about 1 year, before sealing a new drive. If your drive was paved in the spring you might be able to seal it before winter.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Lightbulb

That's a try at what is called in the industry a "water break test".
To do it properly do not spray the water.
Take a 3-5 gallon pail and pour slowly on an area that is not so steep it runs off rapidly but does drain. If it "breaks" into beads like water on a waxed car it's too soon. If it stays in a "sheet it's probably OK but get down very close & look at the "sheet" closely for any "rainbows" like oils make on water. Any "rainbows" wait until they go away.
This normally takes about 90 days but if you have hot summers, several rains etc. it can happen as soon as 45 or so + or -. Sealer manufacturers recommend 90-120 days to be on the "safe side". One year is too long if it's paved with conventional hot-mix asphalt. If the asphalt starts to turn gray you have lost at least 1/3 the benefit of sealcoating.
Also asphalt emulsion type sealers can be applied quicker, in a general range of 30-120 days; you don't need to wait until a full water break "pass" just close... and with the current shortages that's all that's available in a lot of places until who knows when?

Pavement Information/Education
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Eather way, I would seal it before winter.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Pre-Cleaning

how do you clean the driveway before you seal it ??
Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Usually a blower is the quickest way to prepare driveways for sealcoating. Look for equipment capable of providing at least 1500 cfm or a 200+ MPH air velocity. These have a height adjuster which will allow to to direct the airflow.

However many contractors use a simple and sturdy asphalt broom with stiff bristles. It must be capable of pushing away small rocks and stones.

My Best.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone that can help me as to a parts list for making a 100 gallon steel tank sprayer w/ 100 ft of spray hose.don't know what is the best motor,pump and trigger valve for wand. definitly do not want the ball valve **** i am seeing on the internet.trying to save a little here and there to get my feet wet,so any one that can help,thank you in advance.