Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2005, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate it when...

I hate it when a prospect get's your flyer calls you, tells you what they are looking for. After you have driven to their property and given them an estimate they say OH never mind it is too much.

Two examples:

Two different neighboors wanted the same thing done.

They both have a portion of their backyard that is dirt rock and tall weeds.
I gave them both a estimate.

Honestly guys I think I did not charge enough based on what I have seen on this site.

I would have had to (Clear the Weeds, Remove the Debri, Till the dirt, Rake, Plant Seed and Fertilizer and lay straw)

I admit the area was not extremely large but neither estimate came over $325. My labor was only $200. The rest were equipment rental charges, and material expenses. It pisses me off after I sit down and do an estimate print it out using my damn ink which ran out. (The cartriges are $17.99 and that is just for the black ink) Then they tell you owe it is too much. After I gave them a figure either above this or $50 dollars below. One ladies daughter had the audacity to get mad when I showed up with the estimate. They had just purchased a mower, the other her boyfriend said he would do it. But he had just screwed up her lawn with a horrible cut.

I know I ranted, but I had to get it off my chest.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Member

If everybody says yes, then you are bidding too low.

Take the "no's" in stride Milt. I have learned (the hard way) that underbidding will keep you very busy, but will wring the profit right out of you.

Also, be confident and kind when you hand an estimate to the customer (and I'm sure you are). I have had some very cold initial responses turn into a phone call two days later.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Jim G you are correct, just today I picked up three new clients. I am very professional when dealing with potential clients. I have learned that some people are never satisfied and or do not have any idea what it means to keep their lawn in tact. I had no idea either until I purchased a house and started doing my own lawn.

I am up now draining my radiator. I think I have a blown head gasket. I hope not.