Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2005, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a tough one for sure. I would insist on planting some trees or make her a new flowerbed free of charge. I would find out what their favorite restaurant is and get them a gift certificate and mail it to them with a greeting card as well.

Things like this can either go one way or the other, I would try to make them your new "best friend" and keep their business forever.

Sorry that it happened though.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

yea that is tough especially elder people and there dogs are very close, if i were u i would get her a puppy of the same breed . Good luck with what happens.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

About a month ago we were at an account, they have a big yellow lab. I told my helper to make sure he shut the gate, well he shut the gate but it did not latch and the dog jumped up on the gate it opened and he took off like a rocket. I was mowing in the front when I saw him, I could not get him to stop. I called the owner on his cell and told him he said he was on his way home but luckily before he got home the dog was back I put it in the fence, called the guy and he thanked me for letting him know what was going on.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I know this was a bad experience but there are two things that you need to do. First tell her that at 11 years old you probably just saved her hundreds of dollars in future vet bills and second, if you continue to service her lawn make sure any marker she places at the dogs grave is at ground level. One less thing to have to trim around.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bad luck but your only human Joe. My advise would be to put it behind you and DO NOT CONTACT the woman. If she calls then you need to make restitution of some kind and it will be up to her to decide what the animal was worth to her. This is where it could get troublesome. Thats why I would suggest letting it go and have no further contact with her unless she calls you. If your lucky you will have lost nothing but the 1 time mow and some sleep over the matter. Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2005, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull
First tell her that at 11 years old you probably just saved her hundreds of dollars in future vet bills ......make sure any marker she places at the dogs grave is at ground level. One less thing to have to trim around.

how this conversation might go from Bull

Bull: Well ma'am we left your gate open and your dog got out, by the way it got creamed downthe road. Here's the remains(while handing over a small garbage bag). Look at it this way, even though you lost your companion you have had for the past decade on the bright side, think of the money you are gonna save by not having to buy dog food and have vet bills in the future... Besides at 11 he only had a few more good years left...

Lady:

Bull: By the way, if you put a headstone in the yard can you put at ground level so me and the guys don't have to trim around it or worry about running over it with the lawn mower when we come back next week to cut your grass....

Joe you are handling this as best as you can, Nothing you can do will ever replace her companion. I might offer my continued services for a very deep discount for the rest of the season as some sort of offering....

good luck and let us know what happens

put down two dogs as a child and I have a dog and two cats now that I'd hate to loose.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Joe, Very sorry to hear this. Going over to the customers home as soon as you found out was the best thing you could have done. Please let us know what happens.

Gravely_Man
Old 05-24-2005, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would send her a real nice (not one of those cheap K-mart things) condolence card and write in the card that if there is anything you can do just call and be sure to include your phone number. She has already said that she will call you if she wants you to cut again. Leave it at that.

People hate to loose their pets. Like has already been said, they become a part of the family. We have a 17 year old cat that is just as nasty as can be. My grandaughter is growing up calling the cat "Mean Kitty" and my wife is even afraid to try to touch the cat. Yet despite this every time my wife and I talk about taking the cat for the final trip to the vet neither one of us can pick up the phone to make the appointment.

Send the card and move on.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Very Sorry to Hear This.

Joe

Very sorry to hear of this incident. From your posts and help to myself and others on this site I can tell you are a good person and a first class representative for this profession. This is a mistake that will be much overshadowed by your many good efforts. I will just offer a prayer to ease the womans pain as well as yours and ask that soon light will shine on the situation. Possibly send her a card and or flowers if you think she would not be offended.

Wayne
Old 05-24-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you, Wayne. That is a very nice post and gesture. I would also like to greatly thank everyone on here for your words of wisdom, support, and all out consideration. It is a wonderful thing to have so many people who are so true and sincere. I want you all to know that it HAS helped, and it is very comforting to know all of you as friends in the sense.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.