Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2005, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
You just answered my question, thanks !

You are full of yourself if you think you can survive without paid advertising, because the only thing you will do is work for next to nothing! That has been my experience over and over.
Here it is: Cheap advertising = You do cheap work.
It is the reason why I have no business cards, no flyers, and no letters on the side of the truck (*ALL* of it, cheap ads).

That's likely why I never get any of this stuff, so yeah, I am correct by ignoring those *****.

You see, I advertise in the yellow pages.
Peace

language

You need to ease up junior.You asked a question and Charles responded with his comment if you don't like it then don't bother asking anymore.You had a person come directly to you and ask for an estimate but you were too busy to give the person a written estimate expecting a phone call for a bid that wasn't completed with a price.Good luck in your selected career...
Old 05-22-2005, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm....I just dropped my yellow pages ads as they were ineffective. Yes, they brought in a lot of calls, 30-60 per day, but they were mostly price shoppers. Since dropping the yellow page ads, going to a targeted direct mail campaign, and improving the exposure of our website, our closure rate has drastically improved. I do less estimates but the ones I do go to are quality calls.

..and I am sorry, it is my opinion if you do not have lettering on your vehicle, it screams scrub. It is also a DOT rule, I believe, to have a commercially registered truck lettered with the company name, DOT # (if capacities of the truck/trailer are above 10000#), and company location.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

You are full of yourself if you think you can survive without paid advertising, because the only thing you will do is work for next to nothing! That has been my experience over and over.
It is the reason why I have no business cards, no flyers, and no letters on the side of the truck (*ALL* of it, cheap ads).

That's likely why I never get any of this stuff, so yeah, I am correct by ignoring those *****.

Peace

language
Topsite- he didn't say anything but that is was the "cheapest", meaning no additional cost to you for your signs on your truck. I also advertise in the Yellow pages and it borught a whole 2 customers, one which has been a good customer and the other who was a waste of time. I can honestly say Iv'e only had about 4 or 5 people stop while I was mowing, but if I had to compare customers from the Yellow pages vs. customers gained from seeing my signs, there is no comparisen. Sign customers win hands down!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 05-22-2005, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Its amazing how great work and word of mouth work. i started and have been in buiss. for two years without one ad in any paper or phone book. Because of this i pretty much get every job that comes in. i just got a call for a deck last week that was referred from a customer i had 1 1/2 years ago......................... if anyone see's you working and stops to get an estimate from you , go and do it , theres about a 90% chance the job is yours. your working in there neighborhood , they have seen your work and they dont have to call around and find someone....just my opinion.....Bryan
2004 ROADMASTER ENCLOSED TRAILOR
STIEL POWER EQUIPMENT
52" JOHN DEERE WALK BEHIND
Patience, grasshopper -- all your concentration is about to pay off.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If someone stops and wants a price they have work to be done and most dont really care who does it long as it gets done , looks good and you are dependable and you are in there price range. I have told people before I will call you tom, call tom and they say we got someone else to do our lawncare. If theese people are in the neighborhood you are mowing then it would be an assett to have them , not much winshield time

Old 05-22-2005, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Peace

language
Hey slick.....I live in the Richmond area, too. If you don't want the business these people are trying to throw your way, tell them to call me.........I'll be glad to leave them a written estimate.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sure its a pain in the arse to stop working to give an estimate, but as everyone seems to agree they stopped you cause they saw you on there road and most likely liked the work that they saw?.......Maybe if you broke down and "Smiled" alittle you wouldnt come off so bad, and may score a job?....only an opinion......
Old 05-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

!

Quote:

Peace

language

Dude! What planet are you from?!? Charles just gave you solid info, and you cop an attitude??!

From your original post, sounds like you don't know how to "make the sale". I would give them a card, not stand there and give them my name and number (what did ya do write it on a napkin for them?!). I would give them a price when I look at the lawn, not wait for them to call me to get the price!

And I can tell you that there are plenty of people that "survive without paid advertising", and get ALL their business from word of mouth and referrals.
So, good luck with your yellow page ad
Old 05-22-2005, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamLand
You need to ease up junior.You asked a question and Charles responded with his comment if you don't like it then don't bother asking anymore.You had a person come directly to you and ask for an estimate but you were too busy to give the person a written estimate expecting a phone call for a bid that wasn't completed with a price.Good luck in your selected career...
Ok, sorry... You are correct, I was feeling it after it happened again today (TWICE). But I ignored the first guy and clammed up on the second. They both got the message, and that's just the way it is (more later).
Having read a lot of the different responses leads me to believe an old saying:
- What works for one person may or may not work for you -
Why do I do things like this?

You see, I run a site as a hobby and I watch companies like Applebee's. As for my site, I tried to do the word of mouth thing and tried all that Internet marketing crap to get traffic... I would get 10, 20, 50 and sometimes 100 visitors/day, and man that sucks for a Web site!
One day I had had enough ... and I paid to be listed on Yahoo...
Guess what? A million hits/month, month after month, year after year, it never stops.
Now look at Applebee's... Granted, their food is good but really, when you stop and look, what makes them so popular? No, honest, why is there a friggin' line out the door every flippin' night, wtf?!! Their service isn't THAT great, I know it's awwwrite, I like Applebee's and all, but how do they do it?
Guess what?
They advertise 24-7/365, Radio and Television.
Once again: It never stops.
But no, word of mouth ain't never done crap for me *except* when I'm running paid advertising, the combination does wonders. I tried to run last year without advertising and I got skru'd real hard, hence my resentment towards cheap or no-cost advertising.
So I live a world apart because the world is backwards.
Thanks for all the replies,
sorry again.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Banned

A quote from topsite in another thread:

" Now see, I don't carry insurance because I'd rather take the risk."

The picture of your business is much clearer for me now.