Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2005, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow.

How the hell did I overlook this gem of a thread?

Yellow pages only work when someone is looking for your services and then, you're up against everyone else in the yellow pages and you're getting calls for all kinds of crap you don't want to do. You're also up against that business card they have stuck on their refrigerator, which might keep them from even picking up the phone book.

Business cards, flyers, word of mouth, people walking up to you, these all target business you really want and they get people who might not have even been thinking about having work done.

I know a lot of people in a lot of business who do very well without yellow page ads. I don't know any who do well without some combination of direct marketing like those items listed above.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.

Last edited by pagefault; 05-25-2005 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
In the Commonwealth of Virginia you can not sue for stupid things such as pain and suffering. You can sue for actual damages, but nothing else. In addition, the Co. is registered as a Limited Liability Company, meaning the liability starts and ends with the business, so greedy folk can not just come after everything I own.
I don't know which schlep of a lawyer you have been talking to.........

If your mower threw a rock and hit a kid in the eye, you will be paying for a mountain of medical bills........tens of thousands of dollars. And don't think for one minute that just because you are an LLC, that you are fully protected. As soon as that kid's lawyer finds out that you CHOOSE to not carry insurance, he will tear you a new one in civil court.

So what is your business name????? I want to see your yellow pages add.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once the business assets dry up, they go after the operator of the equipment for negligent operation....and then go after your personall assets....

also in VA you can sue for Pain and Suffering, its just capped at $250,000....More than I have in my bank account...
Old 05-26-2005, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Several good points made on this thread, and a lot of ignorance displayed by the starter of the thread as well. So you have 2 cars paid off and you can handle anyone who comes after you financially. That is a good one! I have heard that all fortune 500 companies did away with their insurance just to save a buck. Who needs insurance anyway? Can't get blood from a stone right? Anyone who thinks they are protected just because the are incorporated or an LLC should do some research on piercing the corporate veil. If the business is not run as a business (bylaws, minutes from meetings, co-mingling of assets and funds, and about 100 other things) the corporation can be deemed to only exist on paper and in some situations your personal assets are up for grab, especially if you are ******ed...did I say that out loud... enough to not have liability insurance. Another amazing point is not having business cards. Why would you not have business cards. As you said, it's only $20. I guess your work is so impeccable that anyone you meet remembers your name and number forever? Oh, thats right, they can just go to the Yellow pages, look through the 100's of ads and find your ad there and give you a call. Sounds to me like you strictly rely on the yellow pages for your advertising. Must not get much word of mouth from existing customers.
Don't ask a question on here and expect not to have different views, some good and some bad, some pro some con, some for and some against. Thats the beauty of it.
Also, get a new lawyer. Did you set this up yourself online for $39.95 or what?
Here is some interesting reading about the flimsiness of incorporating-LLP:
REVERSE PIERCING OF CORPORATE VEIL
Generally, business entities such as corporations or limited partnerships are legally separate and distinct from the shareholders and members who compose them. When justice requires it, however, courts have ignored the separation of the business and the individual and have allowed a creditor of the business to satisfy the debt from the assets of an individual closely connected to the business. This concept is known as "piercing the corporate veil." A variation on the idea, called reverse piercing of the corporate veil, allows someone to reach the assets of the business entity to satisfy a claim or judgment obtained against a corporate insider. In both instances, a court disregards the normal protections given to a business structure in order to prevent abuses of that structure.

Neither type of "piercing" is done lightly. There must be such a blurring of the lines between a business and an individual that the separate personalities of the two no longer exist. Moreover, while a court's analysis is highly dependent on the facts of each case, typically the party seeking to disregard the distinction between a business and an individual associated with it must show that the individual controlled or used the business so as to evade a personal obligation, perpetrate a fraud or a crime, commit an injustice, or gain an unfair advantage.

Recently, a state supreme court approved the use of "reverse piercing" to allow two creditors of an individual to use the assets of a limited partnership controlled by that individual to satisfy his personal debts. The businessman owned or controlled various business entities. The creditors showed that revenue from the largest of these, a limited partnership, was transferred to a corporation owned by the same individual. Then the funds were used to pay for the businessman's lavish lifestyle, including such items as a second home, a country club membership, a luxury vehicle, credit card bills, and college tuition for the businessman's son. Under these circumstances, the legal distinction between the partnership and the person controlling it had become a fiction to be ignored in the interests of justice.

Last edited by marko; 05-26-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It should also be noted that employees of a corporation, especially officers, can be held financially responsible if they were the ones who were negligent.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You must take advantage of all forms of advertising that you have working for you. One of them is always your work, when you're in a service industry your work is your showcase, your showroom floor, your calling card, your storefront.

If you're mad cause your too busy and you don't get good success from walk-ups try to minimize your downtime and still be courteous. Give them your business card (get business cards!) and tell them the going rate for the lawn you were mowing when they walked up. This will give them an idea of what you charge. This could all be done in less than 30 seconds and you don't even have to get off the seat. If you never hear from them again, you lost $.50 in productivity and a $.10 business card. The one good thing is even if they don't use you, they will always remember that you service the area and if they get sick of being let down, by their cheap cut rate lawnboys they will very likely call you.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Green
So what is your business name????? I want to see your yellow pages add.

I'm still waiting..........
Old 05-31-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was doing a lawn two weeks ago and the next-door neighbor came up and asked if I could do his too. I signed him up on the spot. Yesterday, at the same property, the neighbor on the other side asked if I could do his. I signed him up too.

Three customers. No windshield time. What can be better than that? Of course, more customers next to each other would be better, so guess what I'm going to do the next time a neighbor wants to talk to me...
Old 05-31-2005, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

(I'm still waiting..........)

LOL Hey Mo green i sure hope your not holding your breath at the same time we are all waiting
Old 05-31-2005, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's funny that this guy comes on here talking a bunch of trash, but can't produce a company name.