Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2005, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

He's too busy writing novels on how to mow hills http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=108790 I personally like what the last 2 guys said though
Old 06-01-2005, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That, and he's found a new thread to educate everyone about the value of the yellow pages.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...44#post1041344
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really really wonder just how many trolls are on this site....Too bad we'll never know....

Last edited by MarcSmith; 02-14-2006 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass_cuttin_fool
And Im in Va also and a 30 -35 week cutting season is all there is, and 3 years ago it wasnt a 20 week season it was so dry

Unless you have mostly irrigated lawns for customers. I had quite a few that completely ignored the watering restrictions.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-01-2005, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
not every idiot can advertise in the yellow pages because not every idiot has 3 thousand dollars AND most idiots will not get the credit needed, either.
Most idiots wont spend $3,000 to make $5,000 either, most idiots that is. Im not cutting yellow pages, alot you said is true.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone who has a business invariable will spend 3k to make 5k...its how business makes money if I could buy 3k of merchandise and resell at 5k to make a 2k profit I would....Advertising money is not guaranteed...but Id rather spend my ad budgets in the neighborhoods that would give me the biggest return on my time/investment....Yellow pages is like a shotgun aproach. Yes you are getting the ad out in a big market, but that market is Well.... all over the place. You spend your budget and target specific areas to increase your route denisty and keep your ever increasing fuel costs down and lower travel times you'll make more money with less employee down time.... When I was in orlando, every man hour spent on the road meant that I was not cutting 2 yards.....Thats why my farthest job was 10 minutes from where i kept my equipment and I focused my efforts in a smaller area. If you are a high dollar operation you need to go farther to keep the revenue coming in, but i think most here are smaller businesses they don't need to take their show too far on the road to meet their income needs.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
Anyone who has a business invariable will spend 3k to make 5k...its how business makes money if I could buy 3k of merchandise and resell at 5k to make a 2k profit I would....Advertising money is not guaranteed...but Id rather spend my ad budgets in the neighborhoods that would give me the biggest return on my time/investment....Yellow pages is like a shotgun aproach. Yes you are getting the ad out in a big market, but that market is Well.... all over the place. You spend your budget and target specific areas to increase your route denisty and keep your ever increasing fuel costs down and lower travel times you'll make more money with less employee down time.... When I was in orlando, every man hour spent on the road meant that I was not cutting 2 yards.....Thats why my farthest job was 10 minutes from where i kept my equipment and I focused my efforts in a smaller area. If you are a high dollar operation you need to go farther to keep the revenue coming in, but i think most here are smaller businesses they don't need to take their show too far on the road to meet their income needs.
But we arent talking about a $2,000 profit. If he works for $100 an hour that would mean he worked 50 hours for the $5,000. With $2,000 profit after the ad is paid he made $40 an hour minus all his other expences. It seems awful hard to pay off a house and a couple lambourginis or whatever he said he has making that.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to spend about $12,000 per year in yellow pages ads. The calls were coming in but they were low quality calls, mostly price shoppers for hydroseeding. This year we pulled the yellow page ads and did a targeted marketing campaing and the return volume has been much better. Our sign up ratio is better. Hydroseeding sales are down but that is acceptable as chemical sales are way up. A specific targeted mailing has been quite successful for us.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok 2k was Gross profit before expenses.....We would buy annuals at 1.00 and resell for 6.00 installed...our profit wasn't 5 bucks, but we "made 5 bucks" before expenses. Gross profit.....

Most of our work is all labor so the product sold would have been 3K of labor being sold at 5K price 2K gross profit....

Either way, I'd rather spend 3K advertising and target specific, local 'hoods....rather than one yellow page ad.....But I had business cards, logos on my truck and trailers, logos on my shirts, and I spoke to people when they came up to me....it was the way I did business