Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2005, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

License and test help for Round up ?

I was stoped the other day by a state truck and was issued a warning not to spray round up till I get a limited liscense for my lawn care buis. I sent for study material but gee seems like alot to study and know just for spraying round up. Does anyone out there have an idea what the test is like ?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had my Florida Certified PCO card up until a couple years ago. It was the hardest test I had ever taken, it took me two times to pass the test and it was about $275 each time. I honestly have no idea about the limited lic, but its a bad idea, IMO, if you're going to spray pesticides or herbicides migth has well take the big test and be full on....I know that roundup is fairly benign and it doens't take rocket science to measure out a backpack properly....Who's to say that you wont mix up some atrazine or tempo in the back pack instead of roundup next time. Study for the big test and take the big test, you'll learn a lot more and your customers will benefit as well.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
I had my Florida Certified PCO card up until a couple years ago. It was the hardest test I had ever taken, it took me two times to pass the test and it was about $275 each time. I honestly have no idea about the limited lic, but its a bad idea, IMO, if you're going to spray pesticides or herbicides migth has well take the big test and be full on....I know that roundup is fairly benign and it doens't take rocket science to measure out a backpack properly....Who's to say that you wont mix up some atrazine or tempo in the back pack instead of roundup next time. Study for the big test and take the big test, you'll learn a lot more and your customers will benefit as well.
You need to work under someone for 3 years in order to get that.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZJOE23
I was stoped the other day by a state truck and was issued a warning not to spray round up till I get a limited liscense for my lawn care buis. I sent for study material but gee seems like alot to study and know just for spraying round up. Does anyone out there have an idea what the test is like ?
You can go to www.bobkesslerceu.com There will be a class in this area soon i think. It costs about $125 for the class and $150 for the test. It is very simple.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow in Tarpon Springs already, thats good to hear. I just got my Lic. in March. Its and easy test, but its an all day class.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott
You need to work under someone for 3 years in order to get that.
yeah I know, I forgot about that....I got mine after a year of working @ Disney, but I had a BS in Hort from UF so I go the college time put towards the recquirements.

If you can get the full on PCO lic its well worth it. Florida's Test is one of the hardest, and one of the few states who won't allow reciprocity from other states....

Good luck....