Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2005, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Startup ?

I read in the other post about trailer mounted seal coating machines but can't you get started by using the pail method and still make some good extra money?Not being a cheap skate,like to try this and see how it goes then get better equipment.
Thought I would go to lowe's buy a couple squeeges leaf blower and trimmer to edge the drive and get the seal coat there too.
BIG question-how much to charge,I have been told and read everything from 10-50 cents sqr ft.just to seal coat no patching or anything eles.
Do you prefer a squeege or broom and why?
If someone could give me a average on how much to charge I can get some drives right away.
Thanks
Tim
Old 05-23-2005, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I don't have a lot of time this morning to answer your Q.
we have an old seal-coat machine, but some times we still use buckets..
we used the pail, bucket method for years, it's a little more messy, but you can make money on residential driveways. I'ts to slow to do large commercial lots this way.Imo
So, shure we use a couple of 55gal drums and use one pail for dipping and pour it into your other pails,
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I''l be back on latter and I'll answer your Q's sorry no time now. latter
Pricing for sealing good to average condition asphalt is $90 to $100 for 1000sq ft in our area
Old 05-23-2005, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm finding here in mid MI. that the going rate is .07 per square foot, now a buddy of mine in Lansing said thats also is the rate unless you have a lot of cleaning to do, then they add a penny or two.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys,I thought 50 cents sounded pretty high. Think I am going to put some flyers out and check with some people I know.
My folks have some friends that said theu wanted me to give them a bid.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What about cost of materials and where can you buy in bulk? 7-10 cents sqft sounds like good money but not if the materials cost 5-8cents a sqft
Old 05-24-2005, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Coal tar emulsion in bulk (not buckets) last year was 1.55 a gallon, 1 gallon will spray out 80 sq ft .That gives you a pretty good profit right there at 10 cents per sq ft you also can factor in that with a spray unit you can apply alot of material in a short amount of time, just think an average 300 dollar sealing job is about 30 minutes prep work on the driveway, 30 minutes spraying the sealer and about 15 minutes to clean out the unit....... I always charge a minum of 150 dollars regardless of how small a driveway may be, on all otheres its 10-15 cents per sq ft depending on how much prep work is needed.....
Old 05-25-2005, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman
Coal tar emulsion in bulk (not buckets) last year was 1.55 a gallon, 1 gallon will spray out 80 sq ft .That gives you a pretty good profit right there at 10 cents per sq ft you also can factor in that with a spray unit you can apply alot of material in a short amount of time, just think an average 300 dollar sealing job is about 30 minutes prep work on the driveway, 30 minutes spraying the sealer and about 15 minutes to clean out the unit....... I always charge a minum of 150 dollars regardless of how small a driveway may be, on all otheres its 10-15 cents per sq ft depending on how much prep work is needed.....
Our other company is PRO-SEAL BLACKTOP SEALING we added this on three years ago.

Just gonna ditto Jackmans info here..........
Old 05-25-2005, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking into this, but the prep work looked like a ***** - not something I want to spend my time doing.

When you say 30 minutes for prep, how good are you cleaning the existing bed? Are you actually cleaning it with detergent or just sweeping it off?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

We have been sealing with 4, 55 gal drums and a self propelled sealcoat machine, with spray wand and a couple of brooms and squeegees.
and we offer striping also and B-Ball courts too
We get our Sealer from the local asphalt plant for, 55gal is around $35.
Stay away from the 5gal pails from your local home fix up store.
The going rate in my area including prep work is $90 to $100 for 1K,sq,ft.
For a cheap start up get a old truck or trailer, It's going to get sealer all over it any way. You can show up in your good truck and bid the lot or drive.O.k.
now get 3 or 4, 55gal drums, the ones that the whole top comes off. go to your local baulk dist. and fill 3/4 full, You will add some water to the concentrate if your using a coal tar emulsion sealer. Get your self a couple of brooms some floor and a couple of small roofing brushes, and a couple of squeegees.
Now as for applying the sealer..
squeegee, broom, spray.
I prefer to use a squeegee on residential drives. brooms leave marks and the over spray from spraying is a mess. we don't seal lawns, concrete, garages, cars, houses, cats or dogs...etc. We use brooms for sealing the rough edges and where the asphalt has an alligator skin appearance and to get the sealer out of puddles then go over it with the squeegee to get rid of the brush marks. A good squeegee operator can leave no swerl or brush marks, for a drive that looks like a big smooth black mat.
Spraying is good for large commercial lots, it's fast ,it's messy.
Prepping a drive, I'm not to sure how your edger is going to work on a paved drive? As the edges on an asphalt drive are at a slite angle and are all most never straight. On some we can gust give a fast sweeping run a flat, straight shovel down the edges for a clean line running down the edge and some we get out the oil spot cleaner and power washer. we use to use a leaf blower also but as of the last couple of years it has not been used much, too much dust and dirt on the lawns and on the neighbors car, who is now pissed and will not be calling you to seal his drive...
#1. tip, go (LOW-BALL) (1 )drive in a good neighborhood as a -show drive- leave a sign with your name and # with your yellow caution ribbon and the pho will start to ring, it works every time..
Sorry, for going on and on, hopped Ive answered more Q's than raised new ones.