Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 05-23-2005, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

carb problems

I have 2001 fastrax with a 20 hp Honda on it and about 200 hours and a problem come up on it one day when I was mowing, the carb loaded up and was flooding real bad to the point of blowing black smoke. I took it to my Hustler dealer and they replaced a fuel solenoid and plugs and clean carb and filters and I took it home and the problems still there. My question to you is, are there any service bulletins out or has anyone had this problem or can you help me on this. It's currently back at my dealer and I think he is at wits end on figuring this out
Old 05-23-2005, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a vent tube that is attached to the top of the carburetor, have your dealer remove it and see if there is a difference in running.
This tube is prone to "mudbugs" and if it is plugged it will cause the unit to run exactly as your describing.

Pj
Old 05-23-2005, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Please view this post, it is posted by Jim Needham, he is a Honda representative.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...94&postcount=9
Pj
Old 05-24-2005, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

carb problem

Mower consultant you are the Wizard of Oz! We found out that it was stopped up. It hasn't ran this good since I got it. Appreciate your help, Many thanks :blob3:
Old 05-24-2005, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not the wizard, Jim Needham (the Honda representative) is the man you need to thank.
Glad your problem is solved.
Pj
Old 05-28-2005, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

same problem

Hey PJ my dealership just called and said I need a new carb. Is this under warranty Mark Phillips.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenna
Hey PJ my dealership just called and said I need a new carb. Is this under warranty Mark Phillips.
That is a question that needs to be answered by a Honda representative.
Has your dealer been working with a Honda tech rep? if so they should be able to answer that question.

Pj
Old 09-04-2009, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Member

ok, here is my story on the subject....mowed the 6 acre lawn and everything was fine. cranked it up a week later and it was running bad, gas pouring out of muffler. turned it off and tried to recrank. no luck, flooded out. took carb apart and found nothing. reassembled, same thing. oredered a $56 float/needle set and waited 2 weeks. never showed up, ordered another set and got here the next day. replaced float/needle and reassembled, same thing. started trouble shooting the problem and caught the mower on fire when it backfired without the breather tube on it. hmmmm...nice. melted hoses and plastic choke clip. so i ordered a new $186 carb + $35 3rd day shipping. carb sat at neighbors house for 2 extra days because UPS dropped it off to the wrong address. found the carb today and replaced it, same thing. gas collecting in the intake tube and dripping out of muffler---no start. calmly lowered the seat, grabbed the laptop and headed to whataburger for some dinner. i tried searching online for help before with no luck. but today i decided to dumb it down and just typed "why my gxv670 floods" and found this forum right off. yep, got home removed the breather tube and it fired right up. found a dirt dobber on the other end of the hose. thanks guys, you saved my day.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of great information here, glad it helped you out.

Pj
Old 09-04-2009, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I read all posts on this board all the time, and find it very interesting - and I agree, lots of good to great info here - problem is, I wouldn't be able to identify the breather tube and dirt dobber from a hamburger.

Pete (The Oldfella)