Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2005, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Are mid-mount ZTR's a problem on hills?

I have heard it both ways. They are wider than most lawn tractors with a lower center of gravity--why would they be worse on hills? Also, I have heard that front mount ZTR's are better on hills than mid-mount. Why is this? I have a pond dam to mow and I want to make sure I buy the right mower. As much money as these babies cost I want to make sure I get the right thing the first time around.
Thanks again.
Brett
Old 05-23-2005, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Any time your drive wheels are also steers

ANY time your driving wheels are your Steering , Brakes , Traction. theirs trouble on hill's .... I see many brag about Z turns . but i wouldnt have one if it was gave to me . I have ran enough Z turn walkbehinds . both ridingn the velkie and walking behind it , Ya may be ok acrossed the hill if ya can keep the damn rear end where it should be and not crab walking like 90% time the mowers i was running did... god sakes dont turn down the hill if its a bit damp away she go's ... Turning up hill hope the steering tire has traction or ya may have a hard to handle beast straight up and down a steep hill and guess whats between you and what ever it slides backwards into . Even backing up to get it going again can be a night mare. Or ya fall and their ya are holding on to it... Ill take my Riders any dang place they can stick a Zturn . anytime . I may not be able to whip it around and start back the other direction but i can pop in reverse and mow backwards .

(As much money as these babies cost I want to make sure I get the right thing the first time around) If that pond dam is as steep as i picture most pond dam's in my mind , a weedeater or a goat tied up would be the safest
Old 05-23-2005, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&KLawnCare
ANY time your driving wheels are your Steering , Brakes , Traction. theirs trouble on hill's .... I see many brag about Z turns . but i wouldnt have one if it was gave to me . I have ran enough Z turn walkbehinds . both ridingn the velkie and walking behind it , Ya may be ok acrossed the hill if ya can keep the damn rear end where it should be and not crab walking like 90% time the mowers i was running did... god sakes dont turn down the hill if its a bit damp away she go's ... Turning up hill hope the steering tire has traction or ya may have a hard to handle beast straight up and down a steep hill and guess whats between you and what ever it slides backwards into . Even backing up to get it going again can be a night mare. Or ya fall and their ya are holding on to it... Ill take my Riders any dang place they can stick a Zturn . anytime . I may not be able to whip it around and start back the other direction but i can pop in reverse and mow backwards .

(As much money as these babies cost I want to make sure I get the right thing the first time around) If that pond dam is as steep as i picture most pond dam's in my mind , a weedeater or a goat tied up would be the safest
What? My brain hurts from reading that.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can only speak to the exmark/walker lines about midmounts and outfronts. Far and away, the lazers would handle hillsides far better than the outfront decks, like walker and the old explorer model, for the very reason you listed, wide footprints and short wheel bases. The only "safe" mower on a steep, wet hillside is the old FlyMos with cleats on or the 50k dollar articulating mowers they'll use on huge mountain projects. If you'd drive a truck across the face of something of the incline you have to do, the midmounts will handle the traction the best.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I will take my grasshopper out front deck on a bank any day of the week over a mid mount and I have both. The out front deck can go straight down a bank till you get to the edge of the water then turn. The mid mount you have to back down than turn.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&KLawnCare

I coundn't DISAGREE more. I have two ztr's, I would ride em uphill or across before a tractor. I will say that there is more of a learning cuve but the notion that Z-turns can't do hills is something that people that don't have enough seat time on one say to justify their tractor. If your pond area is pretty steep I do think you should have ample practice time before you try it or you might end up in the pond. Try to get a dealer to demo one for you or find a local lco and get their opinion on the area.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WE run both Tractors and ZTRs , of which both see hills. That 757 Z-Trak is unbelievable on hills!!! Yes the tractors are a LITTLE better than the ZTRs on hills but not buy much. Our Deere ZTR has wide rear tires, very low center of gravity, plus a ROP. If the grass is wet stay off with ZTRs. But I have a lot of hours on the seat of both and I will take a ZTR any day. And C&k Lawn care if somebody gave you a ZTR you would not take it? C-mon dude.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will take my standers on any hill. Since I can shift my weight to gain traction. I have flipped a JD garden tractor on a hill more than once. Never flipped a stander and have tried to.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 05-23-2005, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a John Deere F725 front mower that does an excellent job on hills. The JD Fxxx series aren't zero turns but they are pretty close in turning radius. They are many times more manuverable than a tractor because of their rear wheel steering. The F725 also has a differential lock pedal and a knob to adjust the weight of the deck both of which help tremendiously on hills.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

((I coundn't DISAGREE more. I have two ztr's, I would ride em uphill or across before a tractor. I will say that there is more of a learning cuve but the notion that Z-turns can't do hills is something that people that don't have enough seat time ))))))

Well the ride on Z-Turns must be alot better on hills than the walkbehind Z-turns . I ran a Toro, Bunton, and a snapper Zturn walkbehind and all three was not worth **** on hills . Always a ride i hated , id get off the velkie and walk kinda below the damn things trying to keep the thing from going out the hills sideways . and id get cussed at but **** i could mow better with a rider than them darn things was doing . I dont know but i threatend to stick chains on the bunton it was just damned worthless out of the three 3 mnths of that crap daily and my knees hurting from the velkie beating my legs to death i quit ,,,,, I may demo a ride on Z-turn ill give them the benifit of the doubt but the Z-turn walkers are just junk on hills