Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Snapper ZTR Review

Just hit 50 hrs on my new 52 inch ZTR and so far have been happy.
The only repair so far was on the bagger and it was done fast.Just as my dealer said he would.Mower no problems or repairs so far.

Quality of cut.
I have compared it too a John Deere,Toro,and an Exmark.It is equal too all and seems to be a better mulcher than the Exmark where as a few weeds are concerned.On turf grass it and the Exmark are equal.
Side discharging it is amazing.It goes through the tallest grass at excellent speeds with a good cut.Bagging it is great also.
I really feel that it side discharges better on less than stellar yards than the John Deere ,but on good lawns they are all equal.

Ride.
It has a very good ride and really is able too go faster over the same terrain than the Exmark .The bigger exmarks should be better but I only had the Lazer HP too compare it too.

Hydraulics.
Not as good as Exmarks as far as feel ,but after a short time it is an afterthought.
The actual hydraulic construction is excellent with ease of maint and quality components.

Overall it is a good unit.You sit high up on the machine and it feels a little top heavy ,but shows no desire to become unstable on hills.The bagger is a little tough taking it on and off ,but I have gooten used too it.The ground speed is good and the seat is comfortable.The longest I have spent on it without stopping is 3 hours and I felt very comfortable the whole time.

I think most mowers today are all very good machines ,but with the price difference between the others and the Snapper I would have too say I am going too be a Snapper customer until something changes my mind.
Thanks for the time.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the review.
Do you happen to have any pictures you could post of your particular unit?

Snapper now has me all confused with their model and name changes on their units.
I was very impressed with their very first attempt to make a more modern looking ZTR.
I think it was called the Z-Force until Cub Cadet used that name for a homeowner Z.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 05-24-2005, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like this one.
One other noteworthy thing I noticed is that their hydro system is completely independent on each side with separate reservoirs, the works. This is good because this eliminates "cross-contamination"
Attached Images

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 05-24-2005, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Member

If you don't mind my asking. What did you pay for your Snapper?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mine was a demo with 4 hours on it.It saved me around 400 dollars I think.
With the bagger,Mulch kit,suspension seat and mower it was 7499.00 with 7% added.The mower is 6499.00 by itself and the demo was 6099.00.
They give you a good discount for buying accesories when you purchase the machine.
There was another Dealer that had some 48 inch models left over from 2004 and they were selling them for 5400.00 dollars.
This is the link too what they call there mower I purchased.

http://www.snapperpro.com/fastback_midmount.php

One other thing .
The deck lift is a foot assist and I prfer a lever only operated one like on a Bobcat or John Deere.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services
Mine was a demo with 4 hours on it.It saved me around 400 dollars I think.
With the bagger,Mulch kit,suspension seat and mower it was 7499.00 with 7% added.The mower is 6499.00 by itself and the demo was 6099.00.
They give you a good discount for buying accesories when you purchase the machine.
There was another Dealer that had some 48 inch models left over from 2004 and they were selling them for 5400.00 dollars.
This is the link too what they call there mower I purchased.

http://www.snapperpro.com/fastback_midmount.php

One other thing .
The deck lift is a foot assist and I prfer a lever only operated one like on a Bobcat or John Deere.

I dont understand what you mean about price difference. I can get the jd 717 for 6 grand brand new. Please enlighten me if im missing something.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

a 717 is a kiddie toy compared to what he has. I don't want to be rude, but WHY did you buy a 717? Do you mow a lot with that? or just use it for your own property? JD is a good product, but that 717 is in no way a comparison to the larger snapper.

AWJ, did you get to demo the joystick model? It took me a few minutes to get used to, but loved it - one hand and easy to keep on line....looking to buy one in December if the Taxes call for it, otherwise in January.

Matt
Old 05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassMasterNC
a 717 is a kiddie toy compared to what he has. I don't want to be rude, but WHY did you buy a 717? Do you mow a lot with that? or just use it for your own property? JD is a good product, but that 717 is in no way a comparison to the larger snapper.

AWJ, did you get to demo the joystick model? It took me a few minutes to get used to, but loved it - one hand and easy to keep on line....looking to buy one in December if the Taxes call for it, otherwise in January.

Matt
I did not get one I just looked at them, and was stating what they offered it to me for. Also, he said that he got the 48" deck so if he got the 19 horse kawi I dont see where it is that much better.Please explain what makes you think that it is so much better.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you very much for the review. Please keep us in the loop and let us know how the machine continues to work out for you.

Gravely_Man
Old 05-24-2005, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Moremowing4me he bought the 52 in deck

So yeah the price is right on for that size and mower.