Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2001, 11:23 PM
DIG'EM

Idig greaves and have for about 5 years. never had to do this though. Icharge $275.00 for a regular grave $150.00 for a baby grave , and $75.00 for a cremation. My question is i have to move a grave,but need to be fair. The job details are make wooden box for remains, dig up remains, dig new hole for remains, then cover up both graves.Ifigured i would charge $100.00 for each grave ,and $50.00 for the box. what do you think?
Old 02-22-2001, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having a hard time getting past the imagery of what has to be done. But by your own info, I'd charge more than the regular price for the digging up (I quiver even saying that), because you have to be more careful I'd imagine, and then regular price for the new grave, and $50 is way too cheap on the box. But a minimum total of $650.

Do you have to have a priest or someone be there to dig someone up? To say prayers or something? Seems like sacrilege. Do you handle the remains? Man, I can't even think about what I'd charge for that
Old 02-22-2001, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

don't forget to factor in the cost of a few 30 gallon garbage bags to relocate the body in!

Of all the posts I've seen here, this is definitely the most 'UNIQUE' I have heard.

If it were me, I can't imagine what I would charge. It would be A LOT though. Wonder if they have any pre-determined rates per hour in Mean's for reloaction human body remains.

Now, do you get to keep any jewerly you find?

Just kidding.

steveair

Old 02-22-2001, 06:49 AM
DIG'EM

Its not as bad as you think . Istill dont want to move one .When i bury one its not bad because there is no body. There is no preist at this$650.00 is way too much the family cant afford that
Old 02-22-2001, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it have to be moved?

You mention $650 is more than the family can afford. I guess part of this will depend on how well you know the family and what you're willing to do for them. $650 sounds more than fair.

Maybe you could just do the digging, and they'd do the rest.

The willies factor is high enough that it'd take a lot more than $650 for me to touch that project.

Can the church or cemetary offer assistance?

[Edited by Stonehenge on 02-22-2001 at 08:20 AM]
Old 02-22-2001, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

EEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH!( The sound of the willies going up my back) I think we've got the makings of a new forum here.
Old 02-22-2001, 05:17 PM
DIG'EM

I think I know what I'm going to charge .Since I charge $150.00 for a baby grave then I my charge is going to be $300.00 even . It will take me only 3 hours to do all that.
Old 02-22-2001, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

What size machine do dig graves with?
Old 02-22-2001, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

GRAVE DIGGING boo

Hey grave digger. I thought you were going to charge 200.00 for the baby grave and 400.00 for the other?? I know what you mean about the willies. It doesn't sound like a job I want to do. I guess it is no worse then when we were digging to put up a wall at a cemetery and out rooled an armbone from a grave that had been lost over the years. They thought it was up the hill further. That was pretty creeping. I'll see you later!!! Concrete rulz!! WHAZ UUUUUUUP!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2001, 10:55 PM
DIG'EM

Iuse a bobcat 773 .It is 46 hp.I have a backhoe attachment,with 12,18,and24in buckets.Ialso have other attachments.I dig about 50 graves a year, at $275.00 a pop.Ionly spend about 3 hrs on a grave,from digging to filling it in.My work is quiet no one around to bother me.It is not bad work and it makes money.Ialso build houses and remodeling. The gravedigging has paid for the machine and put money in my pocket.which is a winning situation!!!!!!