Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2005, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=topsites]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner

Well now I been doing this for about 4 years and most my yards look good, and I have never done soil analysis because it cost too much money and takes too much time and I go by how it looks.

Now, I'm not saying that a soil test is necessary in all cases. While you've been doing this for 4 about years, I can certainly appreciate that. I've been doing this for just over 20. A soil analyis will at BEST cost you about 15 bucks.

If you want to get technical, Lime is a base chemical and works like a baking soda, it absorbs acid. You can not hurt your lawn by putting down lime, even if it doesn't need it, even if you put down too much, it has only a neutralizing effect that, when it isn't needed, simply does nothing. So the first reason to put down lime is to neutralize the acid in the soil, whether it needs it, or not.

This statement, unfiortunately is totally incorrect. What are the effects of alkaline soil? That can cause difficulties and problems for turf growth just like acidic soils can.

The second reason is that lime roughly doubles the effect of the fertilizer as, if you read on the bag of lime, I forget the exact words, but it tells you that.
Lime is great for your yard, you can put it down anytime and you can put it down in any quantity you want because even if you put down WAY too much, you can NOT hurt your lawn and it is almost always at least somewhat beneficial. In addition, at 3 dollars/bag, lime is cheap improvement.

This is incorrect, also. Established lawns, athletic fields, cemeteries, golf-course fairways and other turfgrass areas should not receive more than 100 pounds of limestone per 1,000 square feet in any single surface application. The main reason for this is to ensure that a layer of excess residue does not remain on or near the surface after watering. This can clog the surface.

Also if you think you should put down more Lime than what I said then you go right ahead because you can do so safely. At 3 dollars/bag, by the time you've done the soil analysis, you could've done put down the lime and for the same or less money, be done!

Again, it can be overdone.

In my business, I look out for the customer because my customers really like it when they save a dollar. If I were my own customer and I found out that I was ripping myself off, I would go look for a different lawn service.
In our business, we do the same, but we like to do a bit of homework to ensure that the hard earned money the customer is spending is in fact going to benefit his needs to the fullest. Would a customer rather have someone that just throws stuff down and charges for it, or applies something that is certain to be in need and be of full benefit to their turfs needs. Either way, I'm not here to be in a spitting match, just trying to give sound advice. I'm sure if Ric, Tremor, Jim (Groundkprs), or Tim who has a Bachelor Degree read this, they could concur with this.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Runner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites

In our business, we do the same, but we like to do a bit of homework to ensure that the hard earned money the customer is spending is in fact going to benefit his needs to the fullest. Would a customer rather have someone that just throws stuff down and charges for it, or applies something that is certain to be in need and be of full benefit to their turfs needs. Either way, I'm not here to be in a spitting match, just trying to give sound advice. I'm sure if Ric, Tremor, Jim (Groundkprs), or Tim who has a Bachelor Degree read this, they could concur with this.
Ok I see your point... I assumed the customer would do the work himself although it is very possible he might hire someone, at which point if they recommended a soil-test, well then that would likely be beneficial.

Still you need at least 2 bags of lime WITH the fertilizer due to the magnesium in the Lime which works in conjunction with chemicals in the fertilizer to produce an effect that roughly doubles that of fertilizer alone.

Also I think Home Depot might sell soil-test kits for the do-it-yourselfer :-)
Old 05-28-2005, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

i am definitely going to do the work.i can do the work of 5 mexicans .plus i need the landscaping experience,at least something besides mowing and raking and crap like that..i like being creative and i have to sweat a little every day..i just wonder if pine straw makes high acid in soil..and if not what else causes high acid content
Old 05-28-2005, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry,...to answer that question,...yes. Pine straw is exTREMEly acidic, and easily moves into the soil. This is one reason why turf doesn't grow very well under pine trees. (even after they're cut high for light). Other trees such as oak do this over time, as well.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

rockinrand.... your gonna need to do better than that,I don't like that your exaggerating the squareness of the house and your gonna need tree's and the bed shape is VERY WRONG!! and you not useing the yard to it's full potential,Though you are buget limited,if you start out with the right idea in mind,you can add as you can afford it.What you drew is not the right idea at all nor is it creative ..But it's your place,just my professional opinion.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

yes,i was going to add as i can afford..the lay out on the pic is wrong due to me not being a good artist .i am much better at using a scale ruler and so on..and this is just pahase one i guess i can say.i like what you had in mind personally..i would also like that type of idea on the other side of the house as well.what do you think about the little water feature idea(could'nt draw that in either..the only issues that come to mind in the part of the house with the pic is if you look you can see my water ditribution box..i sure don't want no trees near that or the water main and being able to drive in the double gate with my truck ..next year i hope to add trees and stepping stones ...the front is a little over a 1/4 acrepart of the fron is to the far right outside of the pic..this section in the pic is very small.. and my back yard is over an acre..in another 2 years i want a pool..i will keep my progress posted..thanks so much ms shovel
Old 05-29-2005, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

ok this is a little closer to the drawing you had ..but i am still in the habbit of being uniform and square (bad habbit i picked up from building)..it is like an echo of the house.but the shrubs are a little different..
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2005, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK but round out the point(bad Feng Shui) and plant both sides of the path.The point thing should be rounded out to match the barrel roundness if for no other reason,water feature is OK,
but bring the bench out of the flowerbed and you don't have to step into it to sit down..
My last on this,hope it helps, so just stay with the pathway thing,but plant both sides.
The reason I suggested you bringing the plantings AWAY from the foundation of the home is because just planting that way makes the yard POP and lends less impact to the house itself.
Plus up-to-the base of the house planting is pretty much OUT as far as landscape design trend has gone in the last 10 years.
It's more difficult to maintain,
encourages moisture at the house foundation and is BORING.
Loose the small rocks no matter what you do they will look bad..... Sheshovel
Old 05-29-2005, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Holy Cow! Now, you talk about someone putting time and effort into helping someone out... Now THAT is consideration.
Thankyou very much runner,your very nice to say that! Sheshovel
Old 05-29-2005, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
My last on this,hope it helps, so just stay with the pathway thing,but plant both sides.
.. Sheshovel
gee,and i was going to send you plane tickets so you could do this thing..lol .. thanks,randy