Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2005, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Metro HP48 Belt Slipping Off

I am having trouble with my drive belt always slipping off and I always have to put it back on. Whats going on with this?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

mine is doing the same thing i think its time for a new one. you might try tighting up the belt....
AND OTHER TOOLS.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a '98 and an '05 model 30197 Toro 48" fix-deck which is very similar to your machine.
On the old '98, the belt slips off often enough to where I run it without the cover because I got frustrated always pulling the cover off, then re-installing it. I've tried several things but it would appear this is a design flaw in the older machines because ....
On my new Toro, there exists only 1 blade belt and it NEVER comes off. The entire design is, however, different from the old one and I'm afraid there appears no immediate solution other than tolerance.
Peace

p.s.: I ran the '98 for a loooong time without the cover and seen other guys do the same, it appears it is ok to do this. Of course when the belt slips off you usually realize it AFTER you've started the engine but if you are Sexxxtremely careful you can slip it back on without turning the motor off but be d*mn careful or you'll catch your finger in the pulley.

p.s.s.: One other thing I noticed, there is a belt-guide right in front of the main motor pulley, sometimes my belt likes to get on the wrong side of this guide... Look UNDER the mower before engaging the belt or you will smoke it.
If it is on the wrong side, again if you are very careful you can guide it to the correct side but watch your fingers please!

Last edited by topsites; 05-26-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

This mower has 45 hours on it and have already has the drive belt slip off numerous times, the clutch stopped engaging because a bolt fell off of the pulley, and it engulfed 2 of my scalping wheels. Doesn't make me too happy to pay all that money for a brand new machine and have all these problems, but I guess thats what my warranty is for.