Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2005, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

What product would you recommend...

for reducing or eliminating reddish iron stains, which is starting to form on my driveway, walkways, and my house during irrigation.

Our home...along with its irrigation system is pretty new to us. There is an injection system plumbed into the system. It has a 45 gallon holding tank, and an injection pump that can be set from 1 to 10.

Assuming there is a product available - how do I figure the mixture ratio & the pump setting?

Can use this same system for fertilizing? Can I mix the fertilizer with a product that eliminated the iron stains?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Here are a couple pics of the injection set-up...

Old 05-25-2005, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a product for fabric that will remove rust and maybe from concrete. You couldn't pump it through the system though.I'll check on the concrete issue in a second. The overspray from the sprinklers is staining stuff? Do you still happen to have the bottle of fert. that they stuck in the tank? This thread will most likely get moved to the irrigation forum or homeowner forum.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok the product I was thinking of still exists, I just had the wrong spelling of it. Anyway http://www.whink.com/stain_solutions.htm I have only used the one for fabric when I used to clean carpets, it worked well. Don't run it through the system. If you can post the label from the fetilizer because it may not be rust stain you are seeing. It could be a die from something else. Chances are though if you just bought the house it will be Fe so they could get it really green before they sold it.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get some oxallic acid. Mix according to directions and spray it on and the rust will disappear. May take two apps, but it works great.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

muritatic acid will clean the rust stains from your concrete quickly.. Or use a product like SureKleen .. Which is also a strong acid. Either way, don't spray any of the above mentioned products through the system, I imagine they'd kill your grass in a hurry.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help guys.

...if I want to prevent this from happening again - what can I add to the injection system to prevent this?

Looking at the neighbors drives and walks - I think it's the iron from the well that's staining the cement and a bit of the siding.

We're having no luck contacting the previos owners...I know that he used the irrigation system all the time...when we moved in - we didnt have the rust stains!

Dave
Old 05-30-2005, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you have something that is quite common here in SC. The previous owners drilled an irrigation well to save on the costs of town water. The rust stains are from the iron in the ground and not from the product in your injector system. Some say the rust stains come from wells that aren't dug deep enough, some say you will have it no matter what. You can switch your irrigation back to town water, clean the stains off the concrete, and not worry about it again but pay the price in water costs. Otherwise you will have to clean the stains. One thing you should do is make sure your irrigation heads are adjusted to prevent overspray on the siding. It is a real pain to get off.

Let us know what you learn.

Eating up the competition!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can add phosphate to your system...this will clear up your problem. It is an inexpensive traetment for low levels of iron. Phosphate compounds work by surrounding the minerals and keeping them suspended in the solution. In order for the phosphate compounds to work, they must be introduced in the water at a point where the iron is still dissolved to preserve water clarity and prevent possible iron staining.
Another option you would have would be to run a filteration system that uses chlorine, potassium permanganate, or hydrogen pyroxide. It then goes through a sand filter. This has to be backwashed occasionally, (or just replace the sand).
The other option you would have is to 1. make sure your system is set pooorplerly so you have minimum spray on the hard surfaces, and occasionally soak with a cleaner, and 2. hose off the edges that get wet once in awhle to keep the residue diluted and and rinsed. Oh, and one other thing...even though you have this fancy system, I wouldn't even consider it for "fertigation". There are alot of problems with this concept. The arcs. to work properly, have to overlap. you end up with these odd shaped areas () that are much darker than the rest as a result. Just fert. seperate so you get a nice even, calibrated feeding. I hope this helps.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rid of Rust. Sold at Ace or Home Depot. Use at about half of the rate stated on the bottle and you will develop no more stains. They all so have a liquid fertilizer but do not care for the product.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any fertilizer with iron in it can stain cement, and I surely would tend to think that this problem is arising from iron in the fertilizer rather than iron existing within your well water. If your water has a high iron content then I'd bet that all of your neighbors would have the same problem, include those not using chemical injection.

Iron of course helps to green up turf, however you may want to look into a substitute if this is causing problems as you described.