Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2005, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravely_Man
The shirt must stay on! The farmer tan is a evil result of the work we do.

Gravely_Man
That might be what attracts the women because yes, it is evil :-)
Old 05-29-2005, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65hoss
If I was the homeowner I wouldn't stand for it.

As the owner of this business, I would NOT stand for the shirts to be off. Period. No argument, no discussion.
Yeah, let the 'pros' handle this one. Maybe we should dress in suit and tie to please some folk, but as for me, FTS !

p.s.: scrubs (if that's what I am) get paid as good if not better. Matter of fact, you might even get a bonus if you really look good, lol.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Personaly I don't think women should have to wear shirts at all.
Yeah
Old 05-29-2005, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL
Lawnsite Team

We found that white long sleeve button shirt, long workman style pants not jeans, and a wide brim hat with breathing vents protect us from the sun and look very professional. Try it you might be surprised how well it works without the sun beating down on your skin. Added plus is you are protected from grass debris from line trimmers and edgers that seems to hit your legs below the knees. We always remove hat and ear plugs when going indoors or speaking to a customer. Shoes, we always remove them on rare time we go inside home even if they say you do not have to. This shows respect and professionalism to most customers and prospective customers. I get many comments from "baby boom" and older era customers that this reminds them of their Grandfather or Fathers work clothing. Seems to bring fond memories from many of a seemingly simpler time. Make even young workers appear professional and respectful.

Best regards

Wayne
Now see, I never go inside customer's house, to me that is a big no-no. Especially when it's a married woman alone at home, but really, never go inside, you dunno what's coming.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
"Shirts on policy here", no pool swiming even if asked,no drinking even if offered, [ alcohol]......Driveing policy, to wave on other drivers at 4-way stop signs, drive in the center lane of 3-lane roads, never go over the speed limit, and certainly no yelling, hollerin, or cat calls from company vechicals......"Our customers seem to like us just fine" ....PS...if smokeing [ God only knows why?], field strip & pocket remains!
Yeah I'm with you now - No drink or food (no really, not even a soda), never go inside their house, and how anyone could THINK of pool swimming after yard-work, lol, but I guess with employees anything is possible.
Now the other thing I do is when it's time to speak to the customer, put the shirt back on first. If the customer walks out while you're working topless, well, you know... Lets just say, some approve, some don't, but it is also a great way to 'test' your customer and weed out the undesirables ... I mean, if topless is your thing ... Now if topless is NOT your thing, then don't do it.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnandplow42
sometimes i wear absolutely nothing at all
yeah but doesn't the police get on you about that indecent exposure crap?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel
Huh? No tank shirts? No sleevless shirts? You guys are nuts.

I dont work over 85 in a t-shirt. Tank shirts only but a shirt must be on. I do like the moisture wicking polyester t's though. If I could only find them in a tank...

If anything less than a t-shrit is not acceptable than shorts should not be acceptable either.
Hell now shorts eat your legs UP weed-eating, I do wear jeans at all times just for that reason but that's another story, and certainly nothing to do with professionalism, just personal preference.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
But I'm surprised at the people that said as homeowners they would not allow someone on their property without a shirt.
What about roofers? Roofers all the time take their shirts off. What would you do, go outside and yell up on the roof, "Get down here now Joe, you are not working here unless you have a shirt on!!"
When I made that statement, I didn't mean those one time only people I can't control. But the every week people on my property would not be allowed to go without shirts. To me, that is just low class. A real business doesn't do work 1/2 nude.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
"Shirts on policy here", no pool swiming even if asked,no drinking even if offered, [ alcohol]......Driveing policy, to wave on other drivers at 4-way stop signs, drive in the center lane of 3-lane roads, never go over the speed limit, and certainly no yelling, hollerin, or cat calls from company vechicals......"Our customers seem to like us just fine" ....PS...if smokeing [ God only knows why?], field strip & pocket remains!
Further more, we provide company tees for tree work or Lawn/ Landscape services, and Polos for installations,Summer & Winter Ball caps, Shorts are provided, all earth tones, no jeans or cut-offs ever.......We dont use most of your tools but all saftey equipment is provided, & chaps while useing chain saws is required....Creature comfort is a high priorty and wareing clothes is a matter of respect to your clients.[ no matter how hot it is]....Picture "Donald Trump", comein out ta greet you with his shirt off?.....George & Carolyn would just die laughing!
Old 05-31-2005, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalCut05
Does any one see a problem in taking your shirt off when working at a customers house? I would like to cause im getting the classic farmers tan really bad but I don't really think it looks very professional. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject.

Shirt stays on!

When i started in this trade, i had a guy working with me, it got hot, off came his shirt... i started to boil. He was older that me, so i let him do it for a while, about 1/2 an hour later I could help myself "Scott please while you work with me wear your shirt" but it's hot, "i know but, it's my business".

Cut it short- "Put your shirt back on or go home ya look like a slob" at the end of that day i payed him and let him go...........

Scabs work dressed like that!

I am a professional !

Uniform always while working